Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPU problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
June 20, 2009 3:00:01 AM

When I play wow (world of warcraft) i can play at max settings just fine most of them time, but if i do a 10 or 25 man raid my vid card gets pretty bad so i usually put it to low settings...where it can still get pretty laggy.

i just want to find a way to know if its my vid card thats making it slow, my ram, my cpu, my hd, etc.

gpu: hd 4670 (oc'd a bit)
cpu: x2 5000+
ram: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
hd: some really old ide seagate barricuda
psu: antec 500w

and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with WoW and gpu's, im looking for a nice one that can handle 25 mans at MAX settings. I like ati/amd also.

More about : gpu problems

June 20, 2009 3:09:11 AM

you overclocked the card?

I would put it back to stock again (after checking its not heat related)
June 20, 2009 3:14:25 AM

Amg said:
you overclocked the card?

I would put it back to stock again (after checking its not heat related)


when its not oc'd it pretty much does the same thing

have 2 profiles, default is stock, then random one is oc'd a little...but its safely oc'd to what ati reccomended.
Related resources
June 20, 2009 3:16:09 AM

hows the temputres look ? and what do you mean by bad, does it pixellate, slow performace etc?
June 20, 2009 3:19:24 AM

Amg said:
hows the temputres look ? and what do you mean by bad, does it pixellate, slow performace etc?


cant tell you about the temperatures right now, but while in a big fight with alot of stuff going on the fps just goes REALLY low, like not even 1 frame per second sometimes. No pixelation, none of that the fps is just super low. If I look away from that stuff then its fine.
June 20, 2009 3:21:51 AM

strange, and it goes like this over time <20 minutes or so, I would say reduce the image quilty abit to let off the stress off the card, but it sounds like its a little unhappy with temps or its overclock for whatever reason, that does happen sometimes.
I did a OCerclock on my HD4870 and it pixelated overtime on farcry2
June 20, 2009 3:25:28 AM

Amg said:
strange, and it goes like this over time <20 minutes or so, I would say reduce the image quilty abit to let off the stress off the card, but it sounds like its a little unhappy with temps or its overclock for whatever reason, that does happen sometimes.
I did a OCerclock on my HD4870 and it pixelated overtime on farcry2


it only does it when im looking at something really graphic intensive, if im not it goes right back to normal.

im almost positive its not the temperatures, and its a 4670 so its not as good as a 4870.
a c 236 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 20, 2009 3:58:09 AM

in a MMO, a lot of things can cause lag and raids/arenas are notorious for causing it. try turning down shadows and draw distance. I'm sure you are using vent in raids which does not help.

You can always upgrade to a 4830/4850. Either one would will work well with WoW and your CPU.
June 20, 2009 4:13:02 AM

ct1615 said:
in a MMO, a lot of things can cause lag and raids/arenas are notorious for causing it. try turning down shadows and draw distance. I'm sure you are using vent in raids which does not help.

You can always upgrade to a 4830/4850. Either one would will work well with WoW and your CPU.


when i do raids i turn down my graphics settings all the way to the lowest of the low.

was looking at 4890's and gtx 260's
a c 236 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
June 20, 2009 4:35:30 AM

are you using a wireless connection? I was able to raid with a 7600GT and athlon x 4200 way back when on max settings. I know shadows have created more graphic work but you should not be having those kind of issues.

your current PC will bottleneck the 4890, you would see little difference between that card and a 4870.
June 20, 2009 4:39:08 AM

ct1615 said:
are you using a wireless connection? I was able to raid with a 7600GT and athlon x 4200 way back when on max settings. I know shadows have created more graphic work but you should not be having those kind of issues.

your current PC will bottleneck the 4890, you would see little difference between that card and a 4870.


Yes im on a wireless connection but usually 180-400ms latency

and i was thinking about upgrading alot of my system
!