Lost sound on my dell dimension 3100 driver is installed

stevenmorawski

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Hello,lost sound on my dell dimension 3100 driver is installed
my driver is installed and there's no little (!) next to anything in device manger to show me whats wrong just lost sound when i was hooking up speakers no idea what happend

For dell driver download, install the "dell download manager" FIRST!

Double click the speaker icon in the lower right hand of the desktop, this will bring up the mixer, or single click to bring up the volume control.
But in case the volume is missing, corrupted, or the audio is otherwise non-functional:
you check whichever audio was installed:
click start, control panel, add remove programs, look at the list...
which audio software is shown on the list? delete it, restart the computer.

now visit the motherboard manufacturer or computer manufacturer's website
look up your computer drivers by model number
download the latest audio drivers, save on the desktop...
turn the antivirus off,
if you have multiple security programs installed, turn them all off
(your driver may not install if security systems are turned on)
now load your new audio driver, restart, turn the antivirus back on.
Let the forum know if that solves the problem. SGM

Don't delete anything until it is proven to be the faulted cause of the problem. (or, don't get a lobotomy just because you have a headache).

You have no warnings in device manager, good. Go here:

Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio>Sound Playback>Default Device

Is your sounds card showing correctly?
no, change to show sound card.
no, it says "no mixer device," come back and report that if that's the case. Stop here.
Yes, click "Volume" tab>Speaker Settings>Advanced>Speakers>Speaker Setup

Is your speaker setup selected correctly?
no, make it right.
Yes, check which socket you are plugging in your speaker to, it is normally green for R+L stereo or R+L front.

Sound work now?
yes, Cool.
no, While at the "Volume" tab, tick the box labeled "Place volume icon in the taskbar" (to put checkmark in box) then click "Advanced" button right there. Make sure no Mute checkboxes are checked. Make sure Master Volume is not lowered to the bottom, same for "Wave" or you will get no sound.

Works now?
yes, cool.
no, take 2 aspirin and call me in the morning.

stevenmorawski

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011

stevenmorawski

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
i tried that and still no sound even went and got a new sound card and still dosent work . the main problem started when my cat touched two speaker wires together sound still comes out of my stereo when i hook the cord up to my mp3 player but no sound out of com checked all drivers and tried what you said and still no sound i think i f@*ked something on motherboard will try installing xp again that might work to let you know

You have said that you bought another sound card and even it didn't work.
The on-baord sound should be disabled in the BIOS, but it is not absolutely necessary.

Your cat may have damaged the output stage of your sound chip.

Install the new card again. Install drivers. Go to Control Panel.

Control Panel>Sounds and audio Devices>Audio (tab)>Default Device

Here you click the little down-pointing triangle next to the choice box and select the new sound card.

Try for sound again.

stevenmorawski

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
it says started and automatic it looks like everything's working i don't know and i have another computer but i cant get on line keeps saying i have little or no connection but im using the same internet for this com with no sound i checked the settings made sure that it was on automatically detect still wont let me connect even in safe mode i pinged from the com it says i have internet but still wont let me online?