msconfig problem!!!

June 21, 2004 9:56:01 PM

When I type in msconfig I get an immediate error message
of Windows cannot find MSCONFIG. i use this feature often
and this just happen to me today for the first time. It's
just like MSCONFIG disappeared. Can someone help me out
with my problem???

Jurassic

More about : msconfig problem

Anonymous
June 22, 2004 12:00:40 AM

Jurassic wrote:

> When I type in msconfig I get an immediate error message
> of Windows cannot find MSCONFIG. i use this feature often
> and this just happen to me today for the first time. It's
> just like MSCONFIG disappeared. Can someone help me out
> with my problem???

Some malware will prevent msconfig, regedit and other diagnostic tools
from being used to remove the malware. Get a spyware scanner and go to
work. If that isn't it, then you need to "expand" msconfig.exe from your
XP source, either the \i386 folder or your CD.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
Anonymous

>Some malware will prevent msconfig, regedit and other
diagnostic tools
>from being used to remove the malware. Get a spyware
scanner and go to
>work. If that isn't it, then you need to "expand"
msconfig.exe from your
>XP source, either the \i386 folder or your CD.
>
>--
>Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
>.

I ran Spy-bot and it found some malware and deleted it.
Went searchign for the msconfig.exe file in the i386 file
and it's not there. Still having the same problem.

help.....
June 22, 2004 5:50:28 PM

It's a compressed file (MSCONFIG.EX_ ) in the CD. Open Command Prompt window and type:

Expand X:\i386\MSCONFIG.EX_ -r C:\Windows\PCHealth\Helpctr\Binaries
(Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive letter)

If MSCONFIG.EXE is extracted and still the problem persist, run a full system scan with an anti-virus software. (keep it updated).

[The following viruses delete Regedit.exe, Regedt32.exe, Msconfig.exe, Taskmgr.exe]

W32.Petch.B:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.petch.b....

W32.HLLW.Maax.B@mm:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1fd2e01c45824$6c4bcb30$a001280a@phx.gbl...

>Some malware will prevent msconfig, regedit and other
diagnostic tools
>from being used to remove the malware. Get a spyware
scanner and go to
>work. If that isn't it, then you need to "expand"
msconfig.exe from your
>XP source, either the \i386 folder or your CD.
>
>--
>Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
>.

I ran Spy-bot and it found some malware and deleted it.
Went searchign for the msconfig.exe file in the i386 file
and it's not there. Still having the same problem.

help.....
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 5:50:29 PM

After he gets the OS file restored, he and you and everybody else using XP
should go to Doug Knox's site and create and keep a copy of those OS
utilities which malware tends to disable. Those are: Task Manager, System
Configuration Utility [msconfig], and the Registry Editor [regedit]. Get his
setup file from here: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/index.html

--
Gene K
news:o h7mAGDWEHA.2928@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
It's a compressed file (MSCONFIG.EX_ ) in the CD. Open Command Prompt window
and type:

Expand X:\i386\MSCONFIG.EX_ -r C:\Windows\PCHealth\Helpctr\Binaries
(Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive letter)

If MSCONFIG.EXE is extracted and still the problem persist, run a full
system scan with an anti-virus software. (keep it updated).

[The following viruses delete Regedit.exe, Regedt32.exe, Msconfig.exe,
Taskmgr.exe]

W32.Petch.B:
http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.petch.b....

W32.HLLW.Maax.B@mm:
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

>Some malware will prevent msconfig, regedit and other
diagnostic tools
>from being used to remove the malware. Get a spyware
scanner and go to
>work. If that isn't it, then you need to "expand"
msconfig.exe from your
>XP source, either the \i386 folder or your CD.
>
>--
>Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
>.

I ran Spy-bot and it found some malware and deleted it.
Went searchign for the msconfig.exe file in the i386 file
and it's not there. Still having the same problem.

help.....
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 9:49:30 PM

> I ran Spy-bot and it found some malware and deleted it. Went
> searchign for the msconfig.exe file in the i386 file and it's not
> there. Still having the same problem.

You won't find it in the i386 folder, it's renamed and compressed. Use
expand.exe to "extract" it from there. Use the command prompt window.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 12:14:32 AM

That's a good idea Gene. Basically, the idea is to rename these utilities and run them, as malware disables these utilities based on the Process Name.

--

!