msconfig problem!!!

When I type in msconfig I get an immediate error message
of Windows cannot find MSCONFIG. i use this feature often
and this just happen to me today for the first time. It's
just like MSCONFIG disappeared. Can someone help me out
with my problem???

Jurassic
6 answers Last reply
More about msconfig problem

    Jurassic wrote:

    > When I type in msconfig I get an immediate error message
    > of Windows cannot find MSCONFIG. i use this feature often
    > and this just happen to me today for the first time. It's
    > just like MSCONFIG disappeared. Can someone help me out
    > with my problem???

    Some malware will prevent msconfig, regedit and other diagnostic tools
    from being used to remove the malware. Get a spyware scanner and go to
    work. If that isn't it, then you need to "expand" msconfig.exe from your
    XP source, either the \i386 folder or your CD.

    --
    Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security

    >Some malware will prevent msconfig, regedit and other
    diagnostic tools
    >from being used to remove the malware. Get a spyware
    scanner and go to
    >work. If that isn't it, then you need to "expand"
    msconfig.exe from your
    >XP source, either the \i386 folder or your CD.
    >
    >--
    >Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
    >.

    I ran Spy-bot and it found some malware and deleted it.
    Went searchign for the msconfig.exe file in the i386 file
    and it's not there. Still having the same problem.

    help.....

    It's a compressed file (MSCONFIG.EX_ ) in the CD. Open Command Prompt window and type:

    Expand X:\i386\MSCONFIG.EX_ -r C:\Windows\PCHealth\Helpctr\Binaries
    (Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive letter)

    If MSCONFIG.EXE is extracted and still the problem persist, run a full system scan with an anti-virus software. (keep it updated).

    [The following viruses delete Regedit.exe, Regedt32.exe, Msconfig.exe, Taskmgr.exe]

    W32.Petch.B:
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.petch.b.html

    W32.HLLW.Maax.B@mm:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.maax.b@mm.html

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

    <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1fd2e01c45824$6c4bcb30$a001280a@phx.gbl...

    >Some malware will prevent msconfig, regedit and other
    diagnostic tools
    >from being used to remove the malware. Get a spyware
    scanner and go to
    >work. If that isn't it, then you need to "expand"
    msconfig.exe from your
    >XP source, either the \i386 folder or your CD.
    >
    >--
    >Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
    >.

    I ran Spy-bot and it found some malware and deleted it.
    Went searchign for the msconfig.exe file in the i386 file
    and it's not there. Still having the same problem.

    help.....

    After he gets the OS file restored, he and you and everybody else using XP
    should go to Doug Knox's site and create and keep a copy of those OS
    utilities which malware tends to disable. Those are: Task Manager, System
    Configuration Utility [msconfig], and the Registry Editor [regedit]. Get his
    setup file from here: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/index.html

    --
    Gene K
    It's a compressed file (MSCONFIG.EX_ ) in the CD. Open Command Prompt window
    and type:

    Expand X:\i386\MSCONFIG.EX_ -r C:\Windows\PCHealth\Helpctr\Binaries
    (Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive letter)

    If MSCONFIG.EXE is extracted and still the problem persist, run a full
    system scan with an anti-virus software. (keep it updated).

    [The following viruses delete Regedit.exe, Regedt32.exe, Msconfig.exe,
    Taskmgr.exe]

    W32.Petch.B:
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.petch.b.html

    W32.HLLW.Maax.B@mm:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.maax.b@mm.html

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

    >Some malware will prevent msconfig, regedit and other
    diagnostic tools
    >from being used to remove the malware. Get a spyware
    scanner and go to
    >work. If that isn't it, then you need to "expand"
    msconfig.exe from your
    >XP source, either the \i386 folder or your CD.
    >
    >--
    >Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
    >.

    I ran Spy-bot and it found some malware and deleted it.
    Went searchign for the msconfig.exe file in the i386 file
    and it's not there. Still having the same problem.

    help.....

    > I ran Spy-bot and it found some malware and deleted it. Went
    > searchign for the msconfig.exe file in the i386 file and it's not
    > there. Still having the same problem.

    You won't find it in the i386 folder, it's renamed and compressed. Use
    expand.exe to "extract" it from there. Use the command prompt window.

    --
    Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    That's a good idea Gene. Basically, the idea is to rename these utilities and run them, as malware disables these utilities based on the Process Name.

    --

    "Gene K" <genekRE@MOVEolivianc.net> wrote in message news:exWonOGWEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    After he gets the OS file restored, he and you and everybody else using XP
    should go to Doug Knox's site and create and keep a copy of those OS
    utilities which malware tends to disable. Those are: Task Manager, System
    Configuration Utility [msconfig], and the Registry Editor [regedit]. Get his
    setup file from here: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/index.html

    --
    Gene K
    It's a compressed file (MSCONFIG.EX_ ) in the CD. Open Command Prompt window
    and type:

    Expand X:\i386\MSCONFIG.EX_ -r C:\Windows\PCHealth\Helpctr\Binaries
    (Where X:\ is the CD-ROM drive letter)

    If MSCONFIG.EXE is extracted and still the problem persist, run a full
    system scan with an anti-virus software. (keep it updated).

    [The following viruses delete Regedit.exe, Regedt32.exe, Msconfig.exe,
    Taskmgr.exe]

    W32.Petch.B:
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.petch.b.html

    W32.HLLW.Maax.B@mm:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.hllw.maax.b@mm.html

    --
    Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

    AumHa VSOP: http://www.aumha.org

    >Some malware will prevent msconfig, regedit and other
    diagnostic tools
    >from being used to remove the malware. Get a spyware
    scanner and go to
    >work. If that isn't it, then you need to "expand"
    msconfig.exe from your
    >XP source, either the \i386 folder or your CD.
    >
    >--
    >Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
    >.

    I ran Spy-bot and it found some malware and deleted it.
    Went searchign for the msconfig.exe file in the i386 file
    and it's not there. Still having the same problem.

    help.....

Configuration Microsoft Msconfig Error Message Windows XP