Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What mobo do i need? pls help!!

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
November 22, 2009 9:42:26 AM





-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
pls help me guys! i need a mobo that is cheap and is suitable for a single gpu
user.. pls help me!!! ) i considered asus rampage gene but i figured that its a bit expensive.. thanks for the people who will reply! )


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

More about : mobo pls

November 22, 2009 10:10:45 AM

please give more info about your pc
m
0
l
November 22, 2009 10:43:05 AM

processor: i7 920

mobo: ????????? XD

vcard: evga gtx 260

ram: OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel - 7342

powersupply: ocz stealth x stream 600w

chassis:thermaltake element g

hdd: seagate 500 gb sata

cd player: any dvd-r

monitor: 19'' samsung widescreen

cpu temp monitoring: thermaltake hardcano 6 7 II temp monitoring

avr: any 1000w
m
0
l
Related resources
November 22, 2009 11:38:28 AM

I would recommend you to go with Core i5 system since it is cheaper with only dual DDR3 channel memory and together with Core i7 860 which is faster than Core i7 920. Core i7 system is gonna rip your wallet, forcing you to pay more. Also, Core i7 motherboard's triple DDR3 memory channels won't give you a lot of performance boost from Core i7 920. It is also unlikely that you gonna be able to upgrade your CPU with Core i7 system because they could be too expensive like the upcoming 6-core Intel Gulftown CPU (for $2000! :ouch: ).

If you already bought Core i7 920 then I'm afraid that you had to go with Core i7 system but if you get the cheapest then that would help you to save more money like ASRock X58 Extreme (EuP Ready, Tom’s Hardware 2009 Recommended for only $169) on Newegg.com or if you have more money to burn then ASUS P6TD Deluxe with XtremeDesign features would be better or you can also go with something like Gigabyte GA-X58-UD4P.

If you haven't buy Core i7 920 yet and wanna stick with ASUS and had to buy now then I would recommend the cheapest P7P55D series motherboard like the P7P55D LX (for less than $100) or P7P55D LE (for about $120) and if you want an extra PCIe slot with onboard SATA 3 and USB 3.0 support then P7P55D-E PRO would be better.

Please note that all P7P55D series motherboards can support SATA 3 and USB 3.0 by adding an addon card like ASUS U3S6 card while P7P55D-E series motherboards would already have onboard USB 3.0 and SATA 3 support.

Another thing is that despite P7P55D LX being the cheapest P55 motherboard from ASUS but it would have some lower quality electrolytic capacitors instead of all solid alluminium capacitors. Anyway, I don't think that would be a big issue since the electrolytic capacitors were put on the coolest area of the motherboard while the all solid capacitors would be locate closer to CPU (the hottest area of the motherboard) and it wasn't long time ago that we stop using electrolytic capacitors.

Good Luck! :) 
m
0
l
November 28, 2009 1:11:20 AM

Techno-boy said:
I would recommend you to go with Core i5 system since it is cheaper with only dual DDR3 channel memory and together with Core i7 860 which is faster than Core i7 920. Core i7 system is gonna rip your wallet, forcing you to pay more. Also, Core i7 motherboard's triple DDR3 memory channels won't give you a lot of performance boost from Core i7 920. It is also unlikely that you gonna be able to upgrade your CPU with Core i7 system because they could be too expensive like the upcoming 6-core Intel Gulftown CPU (for $2000! :ouch: ).

If you already bought Core i7 920 then I'm afraid that you had to go with Core i7 system but if you get the cheapest then that would help you to save more money like ASRock X58 Extreme (EuP Ready, Tom’s Hardware 2009 Recommended for only $169) on Newegg.com or if you have more money to burn then ASUS P6TD Deluxe with XtremeDesign features would be better or you can also go with something like Gigabyte GA-X58-UD4P.

If you haven't buy Core i7 920 yet and wanna stick with ASUS and had to buy now then I would recommend the cheapest P7P55D series motherboard like the P7P55D LX (for less than $100) or P7P55D LE (for about $120) and if you want an extra PCIe slot with onboard SATA 3 and USB 3.0 support then P7P55D-E PRO would be better.

Please note that all P7P55D series motherboards can support SATA 3 and USB 3.0 by adding an addon card like ASUS U3S6 card while P7P55D-E series motherboards would already have onboard USB 3.0 and SATA 3 support.

Another thing is that despite P7P55D LX being the cheapest P55 motherboard from ASUS but it would have some lower quality electrolytic capacitors instead of all solid alluminium capacitors. Anyway, I don't think that would be a big issue since the electrolytic capacitors were put on the coolest area of the motherboard while the all solid capacitors would be locate closer to CPU (the hottest area of the motherboard) and it wasn't long time ago that we stop using electrolytic capacitors.

Good Luck! :) 




wew thanks ^__^
im now planning to build an i5 set up... could you please give me any recommended parts from this :

procie: i5
motheboard: (anything that can support my parts)
ram: ocz 2x2gb
vcard: gtx 275
powersupply unit: ocz streamxtreme 600w
casing: element G (this one has 3 big fans, i still duno if it can be inserted to my powersupply unit considering i have gtx 275, and btw i dont have any clues what mother board i must have for this system.) pls help... =(
thank you ^__^
m
0
l
November 28, 2009 3:56:19 PM

zakk21 said:
wew thanks ^__^
im now planning to build an i5 set up... could you please give me any recommended parts from this :

procie: i5
motheboard: (anything that can support my parts)
ram: ocz 2x2gb
vcard: gtx 275
powersupply unit: ocz streamxtreme 600w
casing: element G (this one has 3 big fans, i still duno if it can be inserted to my powersupply unit considering i have gtx 275, and btw i dont have any clues what mother board i must have for this system.) pls help... =(
thank you ^__^


I am also building a new rig and I am looking at the recent release of ASUS P7P55D-E PRO since it is cheaper than ASUS P7P55D-E Premium and it also has onboard SATA 3 and USB 3.0 support so you would not have to buy a $30 U3S6 addon card since it already support SATA 3 and USB 3.0. I am also looking at H57 motherboard like ASUS P7H57D-V EVO which also support SATA 3 and USB 3.0 as well as Intel's Clarkdale dual-core CPU with an IGP support. Unlike P55, H57 chipset would support Intel IGP (Integrate Graphics on 32nm Clarkdale CPU) but it would be release by early next year (2010). Clarkdale will have 2 cores instead of 4 cores and one core would be 32nm and the IGP core which support Graphics would be 45nm. It is interesting to see how IGP will boost the video card's speed but for the moment I don't know. Unfortunately, we might not be seeing Intel 32nm Quad Core CPU with IGP support by early next year except for Dual Core 32nm Clarkdale CPU with IGP support.

Anyway, if you had to buy now I would recommend P7P55D-E PRO or P7P55D PRO or the cheaper P7P55D LE and go with Core i7 860. Core i7 860 is actually Core i5 Processors but Intel branded it as Core i7 even if it works on a Core i5 motherboards. These 3 motherboards would run your system fine and they are enough for your system but if you get the PRO version, you would have 1 extra PCIe slot so you would have 3 total PCIe slots instead of 2. However, even 2 PCIe slots on P7P55D LE is enough for Crossfire/SLI 2 video cards but you cannot Crossfire/SLI 3 video cards. But P7P55D LE will have only 8+2 of Power Phase while P7P55D-E PRO will have 12+2 Power Phase which allow better overclocking. As I mentioned earlier, if you wanna use SATA 3 and USB 3.0 then go with P7P55D-E PRO but if you are not planning to use SATA 3 or USB 3.0 for the moment then go with P7P55D PRO or P7P55D LE but you still can add ASUS U3S6 addon card that support SATA 3 and USB 3.0 later.

Important: I am not sure whether you have 6GB DDR3 OR 4GB DDR3 since first you said that you got OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel - 7342 and then you said that you have OCZ 2x2GB. Core i5 system will either use 4GB or 8GB DDR3 Ram so 3GB or 6GB DDR3 were not recommend unless if you are planning to go with X58/Core i7 system that uses Triple DDR3 Channels. So OCZ Gold 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C8 would not work with Core i5 system because it is designed for X58/Core i7 system. You need a 4GB DDR3 Ram or 8GB DDR 3 Ram (2 DDR3 sticks) for Core i5 motherboards. I don't know what OCZ 2x2GB you got but I would recommend these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
(Corsair Dominator has a tall heatsink so it might have a conflict with a large CPU heatsink cooler and it might not fit)

or

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These are good examples of DDR3 Rams which are perfect match for Core i5 and Core i7...


For the CPU and motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

with

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=T2FxW2fXGZQgSn2V&...

or

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=e7Zic83PvQSr80Lm

or

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=j02KziJq95KbCQNm

Or wait for early 2010 for H57 motherboards like ASUS P7H57D-V EVO or ASUS P7H57D-V PRO (Just to share it with you):

http://www.techpowerup.com/108370/ASUS_Readies_P7H57D-V...

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1137/1/

http://www.tcmagazine.info/comments.php?shownews=30921&...

PS: The more expensive versions are EVO and Deluxe Versions and the only difference is they both have DriveXpert Technology in which I don't think that you need it and the Deluxe also has 19 Power Phases which is not necessary and became more like marketing hype than being useful and they both would cost more than the PRO version. These are the reasons why I did not recommend P7P55D-E EVO and P7P55D-E Deluxe.

JMicron® JMB322 (DriveXpert Technology) :
- 2 x SATA 3.0 Gb/s ports (navy blue and gray)
- Supports EZ Backup and SuperSpeed functions
*Drive Xpert function is available only when the hard disk drives are set as data drives.
m
0
l
November 29, 2009 1:11:36 PM

Quote:
Or wait for early 2010 for H57 motherboards like ASUS P7H57D-V EVO or ASUS P7H57D-V PRO (Just to share it with you):


i see. ^_^ so whats an H57 ?
whats the diff then?..
im just planning to use single graphics card,
and im just planning to buy the parts...
btw i think that corsair memory is much cheaper and better than ocz?..
i duno T_T haha...
i live in the philippines and duno where i could buy corsair brand here like memory... ^_^
m
0
l
November 29, 2009 5:53:35 PM

zakk21 said:
Quote:
Or wait for early 2010 for H57 motherboards like ASUS P7H57D-V EVO or ASUS P7H57D-V PRO (Just to share it with you):


i see. ^_^ so whats an H57 ?
whats the diff then?..
im just planning to use single graphics card,
and im just planning to buy the parts...
btw i think that corsair memory is much cheaper and better than ocz?..
i duno T_T haha...
i live in the philippines and duno where i could buy corsair brand here like memory... ^_^


H57 chipset and P57 chipset (both codenamed Eaglelake) were ranked slightly higher than P55 (notice the number 57 VS 55) but lower than X58 chipset.

These would be known as H57 motherboards (motherboards that uses H57 chipset) and P57 motherboards (motherboards that uses P57 chipset) but P57 was canceled from Intel's 2010 roadmap so there might be only H57 motherboards in the early 2010.

H57 motherboards would be Clarkdale motherboards for Dual-Core 32nm Westmere CPU codenamed Clarkdale. The special thing is that Clarkdale will have a built-in 45nm IGP core (Integrated Graphics) for supporting graphics and 32nm core for general use. H57 motherboards would be the only ones supporting CPUs with IGP.

But like I said earlier, I don't know the effects of IGP on video cards. It might probably help to boost the video card's GPU's speed. I think that this is equivalent to AMD's Fusion that would also come in 2010. This is why I am waiting for H57 motherboards in 2010.

The current P55 motherboards would not support Intel's future CPUs that has IGP.

For the memory, so far as I know, those Corsair 4GB DDR3 Rams are the best Rams for Core i5 motherboards. I also heard that many people failed to get other Core i5 uncertified Rams to work on their new motherboard so you better not buy other Rams because they might not be Core i5 certified for the new motherboards. You can give it a try with your old Rams too but they might not work on Core i5 system. You might also wanna check ASUS's QVI list for Core i5 certified memories on the ASUS's P55 product page because not all Rams would work on P7P55D-E series motherboards and it would be good if you also read Newegg customer reviews of those DDR3 Rams. However, I saw many people buying new Rams especially when they upgrade their motherboard which is becoming something normal because old Rams might not work on the new system. :) 
m
0
l
November 30, 2009 8:58:56 AM

Quote:
H57 motherboards would be Clarkdale motherboards for Dual-Core 32nm Westmere CPU codenamed Clarkdale. The special thing is that Clarkdale will have a built-in 45nm IGP core (Integrated Graphics) for supporting graphics and 32nm core for general use. H57 motherboards would be the only ones supporting CPUs with IGP.


i see! ^_^
thats why you want that.. hmmm
i say if i stick with a single GPU only,
i think i wont upgrade for the next 5-7yrs...
so do you think that asus p55 is enough?..
=D haha i will find a supplier of corsair here...
im considering to buy from newegg,,, but im afraid that maybe the item wont come coz i came from far country.. =/
m
0
l
November 30, 2009 12:36:00 PM

zakk21 said:
Quote:
H57 motherboards would be Clarkdale motherboards for Dual-Core 32nm Westmere CPU codenamed Clarkdale. The special thing is that Clarkdale will have a built-in 45nm IGP core (Integrated Graphics) for supporting graphics and 32nm core for general use. H57 motherboards would be the only ones supporting CPUs with IGP.


i see! ^_^
thats why you want that.. hmmm
i say if i stick with a single GPU only,
i think i wont upgrade for the next 5-7yrs...
so do you think that asus p55 is enough?..
=D haha i will find a supplier of corsair here...
im considering to buy from newegg,,, but im afraid that maybe the item wont come coz i came from far country.. =/


Certainly, P55 is enough for single GPU but I was just sharing with you about the upcoming H57 chipset which was also interesting.

ASUS P7P55D series (need $30 ASUS U3S6 addon card for USB 3.0 and SATA 3 support) and ASUS P7P55D-E series (with onboard SATA 3 and USB 3.0) are the only best P55 motherboards that support USB 3.0 and SATA 3 so you would be able to enjoy these new techs for the next 5-7 years without problem.

You are right, Newegg.com is for North America customers only but you can still read the customer reviews for more information so you can also see other people's experience with the products that you might wanna buy as well as the rating of the products.

Good Luck! :D 
m
0
l
November 30, 2009 1:02:55 PM

Techno-boy said:
Certainly, P55 is enough for single GPU but I was just sharing with you about the upcoming H57 chipset which was also interesting.

ASUS P7P55D series (need $30 ASUS U3S6 addon card for USB 3.0 and SATA 3 support) and ASUS P7P55D-E series (with onboard SATA 3 and USB 3.0) are the only best P55 motherboards that support USB 3.0 and SATA 3 so you would be able to enjoy these new techs for the next 5-7 years without problem.

You are right, Newegg.com is for North America customers only but you can still read the customer reviews for more information so you can also see other people's experience with the products that you might wanna buy as well as the rating of the products.

Good Luck! :D 




yeah.. T__T

uhm given the mobos you suggested, i have here the prices which are available in my country... currency is Peso ( $1 = 45 Peso)

[LGA1156] Asus P7P55D PHP 8660.00
[LGA1156] Asus P7P55D Deluxe PHP 12580.00
[LGA1156] Asus P7P55D LE PHP 7810.00
[LGA1156] Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R PHP 9700.00


which one do you think is the best for my case? single vcard user ^_^
m
0
l
November 30, 2009 9:37:30 PM

zakk21 said:
yeah.. T__T

uhm given the mobos you suggested, i have here the prices which are available in my country... currency is Peso ( $1 = 45 Peso)

[LGA1156] Asus P7P55D PHP 8660.00
[LGA1156] Asus P7P55D Deluxe PHP 12580.00
[LGA1156] Asus P7P55D LE PHP 7810.00
[LGA1156] Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R PHP 9700.00


which one do you think is the best for my case? single vcard user ^_^


My Recommendation: I would recommend either the P7P55D-E PRO or P7P55D PRO. If you are planning to use USB 3.0 and SATA 3 now then it would be better to go with P7P55D-E PRO.

If there are no P7P55D PRO and P7P55D-E PRO then you can also go with P7P55D or the cheaper P7P55D LE but they will not support NVIDIA SLI which means that in the future, you cannot buy the second Geforce GTX 275 for SLI since it does not support NVIDIA SLI Multi-GPU technology and it will only work with 1 PCIe x16 slot for NVIDIA video card (even if it has 2 PCIe x16 slots). However, either P7P55D or P7P55D LE is enough for single video card user who is not planning to do SLI but you can still do Crossfire but then you would need an ATI video card and not NVIDIA video card. (You got NVIDIA Geforce GTX 275) Also, even if you do crossfire with 2 ATI video cards by using 2 PCIe x16, you would be running crossfire at only x4 mode which is very bad.

I think that the PRO version is the sweeter spot for budget PC and it will future proof you for the next 5-7 years without problem.

For the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R, it will not future proof you for the next 5-7 years since it does not support USB 3.0 and SATA 3 and U3S6 addon card so I would not recommend it.

Anyway, if you are not planning to do SLI or Crossfire or use more than 1 video card then P7P55D LE or P7P55D is enough for single video card.

Remember, having more options for the future is better than having least options and it also depends on what you really want to do. :) 
m
0
l
December 1, 2009 12:06:22 PM

Quote:
I think that the PRO version is the sweeter spot for budget PC and it will future proof you for the next 5-7 years without problem.


i see..
now i understand what your saying.. =D
im still a noob though...
ill try to look for a pro p55...
how much do you think it will sell?..
yes.. im only planning to be a single gpu user for the next 5-7 years...
i like EVGA gtx 275 coz of the 1700+mb then 448bit...
do you think its a good card having a 1700+ mb?..
can it be handled by either i5 750 or i7 860?
im afraid i cnt find i7 860 here T__T
so ive left with the choice i5..
thanks for the repplies by the way... ^_^
so kind.. =D thank you...
m
0
l
December 1, 2009 12:52:33 PM

zakk21 said:
Quote:
I think that the PRO version is the sweeter spot for budget PC and it will future proof you for the next 5-7 years without problem.


i see..
now i understand what your saying.. =D
im still a noob though...
ill try to look for a pro p55...
how much do you think it will sell?..
yes.. im only planning to be a single gpu user for the next 5-7 years...
i like EVGA gtx 275 coz of the 1700+mb then 448bit...
do you think its a good card having a 1700+ mb?..
can it be handled by either i5 750 or i7 860?
im afraid i cnt find i7 860 here T__T
so ive left with the choice i5..
thanks for the repplies by the way... ^_^
so kind.. =D thank you...


Last thing that I wanted to say is that:


If you are not planning on buying second Geforce GTX 275 for SLI or Crossfire 2 ATI video cards and you will use only 1 video card or even Dual GPU card that occupies only 1x PCIe X16 slot for the next 5-7 years then P7P55D LE or P7P55D or P7P55D-E (if it exist) would be the right choice for you.

The truth is I don't really recommend you to SLI your Geforce GTX 275 with another Geforce GTX 275 because by the time new DirectX 12 video cards come out, you would not be able to use newer DX 12 tech with 2x Geforce GTX 275 SLIed even if you pay lesser for second Geforce GTX 275 and catch up with the performance by doing SLI but in this world, there are some people who has less money so they don't want to pay for new video card so they buy the old one and SLI/Crossfire with the previous one they already have because the older video card's price would come down by the time the new ones arrive. (Geforce GTX 275 is a DirectX 10 video card so it would not certainly support either DX 11 or DX 12.)

The P7P55D will work with Core i5 750 and Core i7 860/870 (should have been brand as Core i5 860/870) but not definitely Core i7 920 or Core i7 900 series or Core i9. Another thing, P7P55D will not support Core i3 but P7P55D-E will support Core i7 860/870, Core i5, included cheaper Core i3 (based on ASUS's webpage about P7P55D specs compared to P7P55D-E specs).

The P7P55D PRO will cost $170-$180 but if include $30 U3S6 addon card (for USB 3.0 and SATA 3) then it would be $200-$210.

The P7P55D-E PRO will cost $210-$220 with onboard USB 3.0 and SATA 3 support and it will also support the cheaper Core i3 processors.

Anyway, it was nice to help you. Good Luck and enjoy your new PC rig. ;) 

m
0
l
December 2, 2009 7:33:39 AM

Quote:
The truth is I don't really recommend you to SLI your Geforce GTX 275 with another Geforce GTX 275 because by the time new DirectX 12 video cards come out, you would not be able to use newer DX 12 tech with 2x Geforce GTX 275 SLIed even if you pay lesser for second Geforce GTX 275 and catch up with the performance by doing SLI but in this world, there are some people who has less money so they don't want to pay for new video card so they buy the old one and SLI/Crossfire with the previous one they already have because the older video card's price would come down by the time the new ones arrive. (Geforce GTX 275 is a DirectX 10 video card so it would not certainly support either DX 11 or DX 12.)


yea, i wont go SLI coz of the fact that im really in a tight budget.. buying GTX 275 really squeezes my budget though.. hmm stating the fact of dirextX 11 and 12 vcards.. ive been thnking if which is better, having EVGA GTX 275 (1mb; 448bit ddr3) OR the one that ive seen somewhere the ATI 4790 (1gb; 128bit ddr5) im not quite sure of the 4790 or so.. i just wanna know if which card is better when it comes to performance plus price... the gtx has 448 bit but only ddr3, then the ati only has 128bit but ddr5.. xD gtx275 = $250-290 ati 4789 = $190-220
m
0
l
!