What is the best setup for these three HDD's.

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
Hi guys, Hey, I've got these 3 HDD's installed and I'm wondering what the best method is for organizing them (like which one to create a partition for the Win7 OS):

Model No. Series Capacity RPM Cache Interface
WD1002FAEX WD Caviar Blac 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB SATA 6.0Gb/s
WD10EADS WD Caviar Green 1TB 5400 RPM 32MB SATA 3.0Gb/s
WD2500KS WD Caviar SE16 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB SATA 3.0Gb/s

They're ordered from newest to oldest. I think the easiest thing to do would be to have my 250GB be my OS drive, with the FAEX being the primary data, with the EADS (slower) being the backup for FAEX (faster).

OR

Is it better to create a 100 or 200GB partition for Win7 on the FAEX in order to get the best performance possible (from the higher SATA throughput and 4X the Cache), taking advantage of the larger Cache?

I won't put the Windows OS on the EADS because of the slow RPM.

Solution
My suggestion would be to run your system off of the WD Caviar Black 1TB, utilize the WD Caviar Green 1TB for additional storage and leave out the Caviar SE16 (It is outdated and not needed with the other two drives... IMO).

tecmo34

Administrator
My suggestion would be to run your system off of the WD Caviar Black 1TB, utilize the WD Caviar Green 1TB for additional storage and leave out the Caviar SE16 (It is outdated and not needed with the other two drives... IMO).

Solution

Stone9

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007

What size would u recommend for the windows partition? My current one was 100GB an that became 90 percent full even with a separate partition for data, so I was thinking maybe 200GB.

tecmo34

Administrator
^+1...

I'm running my system off of a 80GB SSD with a 1TB drive for storage and a 300GB WD VRaptor for Games. You can get by with less but you just have to 1) setup so default storage is on the bigger partition or on the Green drive & 2) install only what you truly need on the OS drive (more of a factor with a SSD though :D ).