Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Motherboard / CPU Advice Please

Last response: in Overclocking
April 21, 2011 5:31:08 PM

System Use: I don't do a whole lot but want a top-end machine. I play a few games (World of Warcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 3 when it comes out). I don't do video editing. And I do some graphic editing (Photoshop). I am just getting into water cooling and I've been using AMD CPU's for 10+ years and want to get into Intel OC'ing.

I was thinking about buying ASUS Rampage III Extreme and Intel Core i7-970 Gulftown 3.2GHz but I am reading the Intel Core I7 2600K Quad Core Unlocked Hyperthreading Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Sandy Bridge 8MB might be better, for me, since I want to OC and game. i7 970 is better for heavy load systems?

Can anyone recommend a top-end Motherboard / CPU for what I would like to do (OC and Game)?

More about : motherboard cpu advice

April 21, 2011 5:36:27 PM

I should add, that I would stick to AMD but it seems that Intel is ahead in the OC game at the moment. Of course I could be wrong. I haven't been following it that closely.

Also, I am building this new machine as a hobby. I don't NEED it but it's something I've been wanting to get into for years (Water Cooling & OC'ing). I get asked a lot why I am building this :) 
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2011 3:57:43 AM

I would reccomend going with the one of the new Sandy Bridge processors if your looking to O.C.I would suggest getting the sandy bridge i5 over the sandy bridge i7 to save some money because theirs isn't a huge difference between them both perform about the same when it comes to gaming.With the proper cooling you can get around 4.5ghz ez with one of those new Sandy Bridge's.I've also heard it's realativly ez to get past 5ghz but you will need water cooling for that.

Can't really suggest a mobo because i'm not to familar with Intel mobo's as i'm more of an AMD guy myself.

Do you already have a GPU or are you looking to get a new one?
Related resources
April 22, 2011 4:01:35 AM

Thanks for your input purple stank. Very helpful.

I plan on getting a GPU. You can take a look at my setup here: First WC Build - Looking for Advice

Ignore the Motherboard and CPU, I haven't updated my original post yet since I am undecided which CPU / Motherboard to get now.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2011 6:59:57 AM

I see you have a 980x.Just wanted you to know the 2500k can match if not surpass the 980x.So their really isn't any point in spending that much.
m
l
April 22, 2011 2:41:01 PM

I don't have a 980x.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2011 3:08:30 PM

Thought it said you did.My mistake.
m
l