Biostar TA790gx 128m cpu fan wont spin but mobo will post

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
so any ideas? I just got this motherboard (Biostar TA790GX 128M) today. However it was an open box item from newegg. I have purchased quite a few open boxes from newegg with no issues. Basically I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything before I send it back. Also I'd like to mention the same fan will work on the other fan ports, the motherboard post and works fine (except the cpufan of course), and I have cleared the cmos. Still no go. I have also tried a 3pin & 4pin cpu fan. This is my first AMD build so I just want to make sure that i'm not overlooking anything. Thanks.

p.s. I have a PhenomII X2 550 cpu and a generic 1gb stick of 800mhz ddr2 just to test with.

I'm not familiar with that motherboard, but on a Biostar T45 motherboard, the CPU fan can be configured to start only once the CPU reaches a predetermined temperature. Connect the fan to another header to keep the CPU cooled and check the CMOS configuration. If that doesn't work, then you might have a defective motherboard.

prelude2250

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
yeah I set the mobo to shut off at 50c and the cpu fan did not turn on before 50c. I also discovered that out of 3 fan ports only the rear system fan port works. : (
no cpu or front system fan