Intel x25 G2 80gb: Raid 0 or leave them separate for gaming?

statz22

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Hi,

Currently I have a intel x25 80gb G2 with my OS (Win 7 Ult), 3 games and small applications installed. My users file with all my large GBs of data has been symlinked to my HDD (1TB).

I'd like to get another SSD as mine is close to full with every SSD tweak enabled (no pagefile, sys restore, hiberation etc..).

This other SSD would mainly be just to hold games.

1) Would it make since (game performance wise / data security) to get another 80 gb intel x25 and put them both in raid 0 (install OS games and apps). Or just get another 80gb (or higher) and make it a separate drive to hold games?

2) Should i leave a small partition (10%?) empty for wear leveling?

Thank you in advance!

Solution

RAID 0 does nothing for data security. There is not duplication or parity copy of data in RAID 0, it's just basically parallel drives splitting the load for increased speed.

First thing I would do would be to take a closer look at what's on your current 80G SSD and see if there is anything you can move off.
Really if you have 3 games running on SSD, chances are one of them is probably less demanding and could be moved off to your HDD.

Save the money, or at least wait until the newer SSD's come out so current generation prices drop.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I wouldnt waste my money on an ssd for games. At best you will get slightly better load times on levels and start up of games. I'd just stick with your current ssd and put your os and common apps on there and then use your cav black for backup and installation of big files, or get another hdd if you need it.

CopaMundial

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2011

RAID 0 does nothing for data security. There is not duplication or parity copy of data in RAID 0, it's just basically parallel drives splitting the load for increased speed.

First thing I would do would be to take a closer look at what's on your current 80G SSD and see if there is anything you can move off.
Really if you have 3 games running on SSD, chances are one of them is probably less demanding and could be moved off to your HDD.

Save the money, or at least wait until the newer SSD's come out so current generation prices drop.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS