Sign in with
Your question

Is my GTX570 defective?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 22, 2011 2:08:23 AM

Alright. I've seriously tried to get this GTX SC 570 to work but it just fails on me on a daily basis. Its not overclocked other than the factory OC bump and it has plenty of airflow going through my case. I ran furmark for an hour when I first got the card and there was no issues with temps or crashes.

Its been about 2.5 months of constant driver issues. Issues being game crashes, game freezes, desktop flashes, and shockwave fails on the web. I've gone through 2 official driver updates from Nvidia from January and the newly released one as of April 18th. I've also gone through several beta drivers as well. All have failed to produce a satisfactory experience.

My question is that is it a defective gfx card or is it just an incompatibility with my system? I'm not running an old system. Its a PII X4 955 with a 790FXT board and 650W of clean power. Has anyone had similar troubles or know anything about this? I'm seriously thinking of just buying a 5870 and calling EVGA for a refund as I'm pretty sure its just a defective card. I just thought I would run this by you guys as some of you really know your stuff.

More about : gtx570 defective

April 22, 2011 3:04:46 AM

Try uninstalling the drivers then running Driver Sweeper (free download online). This will get rid of any remnants of previous drivers you've used. In the past, I've had similar issues occur, and it was because I didn't clean out my drivers properly when I upgraded.
m
l
April 22, 2011 4:23:12 AM

bdcrlsn said:
Try uninstalling the drivers then running Driver Sweeper (free download online). This will get rid of any remnants of previous drivers you've used. In the past, I've had similar issues occur, and it was because I didn't clean out my drivers properly when I upgraded.

That has seemed to solve the problem at least for now. I can get the card to work but the drivers just fail after so long. I ran Driver Sweeper and it did show up a lot of old video registries. Even some from my AMD cards. Hopefully this solves everything. Its really been driving me crazy.

Still not working. Drivers failed after an hour of gaming.
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2011 10:14:15 AM

I just went back to my older driver on my Nvidia card...The new Nvidia driver gave me constant wierd flickering on my screen while playing BC2...But in your case your getting freezes, are you sure it's the Nvidia driver? My computer use to freeze until i increased the voltage on my ram...I just built my system also...Everything is new except the graphics card..Using a GTX 295...Maybe if you have a older graphics card laying around try installing that one for now and see if you get the same issues...If you do than it's not the graphics card...could be a driver issue...
m
l
April 22, 2011 1:00:04 PM

It's not due to incompatibility.The same problem was happen with my 5870.I was try every thing,At last i replaced it with new one.You may also do that.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2011 1:03:03 PM

I'd look at the rest of the system:
- Run the PII 955 at stock speed and voltage
- RAM; Are you running 2 or 4 sticks? What's the brand & speed? Run that at 1066Mhz, stock no OC
- Clean power: What's the brand and model of your power supply? (not all 650watt supplies are the same)

Run Prime95 before and after you set the system to NO OC & NO overvoltage settings. See if it's now more stable...

m
l
April 22, 2011 2:03:04 PM

No, all of the old drivers preformed the same or worse. Going back to an older driver won't do anything. I know its not incompatibility. I was just frustrated. My system overall is more than enough.

The game that has the most problems is BC2. I'm not the only one that has problems with the game. It seriously needs work. Too bad its so much fun to play. Other games work better but still have problems. I play Civ V quite a bit and can sometimes play in DX11 but most of the time have to go with DX9 or it crashes.

Its not the RAM or CPU. How would adjusting them do anything for video performance? These problems didn't happen until I bought the GTX570. I had 5770's before and they worked perfectly except for Crossfire problems but that happens.

JB, myself and others have our specs in our signatures for a reason
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2011 4:19:10 PM

Ah, it's always in the fine print.... (signature...)

The reason I point to OC'ing is that a GTX570 draws more power than a 5770. Basically, whenever you an a new component I would recommend you re-work your OC. Even if you have plenty of power, changing the loading can effect final voltages delivered to each component, CPU included....

m
l
April 25, 2011 11:46:24 AM

Replace it.
m
l
April 29, 2011 12:33:04 AM

yeah i spoke to evga about it last night. its going back for a replacement. :pfff: 
m
l
!