CPU Fan Zalman 9700 NT Controlling?

chrisrichard

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I recently bought CPU Fan Zalman 9700 NT.
But i think the fan is on 100% atm.. its damn loud..

Is there any way to lower the CPU fan with bios? any programs?

some say you cant control zalman 9700nt fan without the MFC2 Fan controller...

but theres gotta be another easy way! help me thanks!

using
Q6600 intel
MSI P45-8D

spunker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
yeh, i got the same fan and CPU. I have 3 options in my bios, something like silent, normal and performance. These are all PWM settings so even tho i have a pretty decent overclock i use the silent setting and it only really spins up loud when im thrashing the CPU. Your bios mat not have the same options as mine but im using an Asus P5K Premium and i think the option is in the hardware monitor section somewhere. Hope that helps a bit. I ditched that fanmate controller straight away btw.

spunker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Just had a look and i have a feature called asus q-fan enabled, it is currently set to performance and is still fairly quiet when not in heavy use. This option is obviously for asus boards but maybe you can find something similar. Your fan defo does support PWM though so if you find the option it will work fine.

chrisrichard

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Thanks man. I figured it out as well. My bios setting had Smart Fan thing disabled, I enabled it and put it to 50% targeted at 45C. So once the temp goes up to 45C, the fans gonna go wild till it goes down below 45C. The usual fan speed will be 50%, which is fine for me. Should I put it lower?

spunker

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
Just keep your eyes on the temps and you will know if you can drop the fan speed anymore. The max temp for our CPU is around 70 degrees so if you aim to keep it lower than that under full load then you know your safe. Core temp seems to work well for me and i normally do a stress test on all cores with orthos to see my max temps :)