@ instead of " on Windows 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzard

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I’ve recently upgraded from windows vista to Windows 7 on my Dell XPS Laptop. Now my keyboard outputs " whenever I press @ and visa versa. I’ve checked that my Region and Language settings is set to UK (As my @ sign is above numeric 2) but this doesn’t change a thing, Does anybody have a solution?

Have you actually checked the keyboard layout, as opposed to the general language settings? Control Panel/Region and Language/Keyboards and Languages/Change Keybords?

It may be that you have both US and UK keyboards installed. in which case delete the US one.

Lizzard

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Thanx guys. In the device manager, under keyboards, I seem to have two drivers, “HID keyboard device” and “Standard PS/2 Keyboard” considering what you said, I know PS/2 should be set as the device, but there seems to be no option in choosing between the two. Can it be that they are clashing?

The actual keyboard layout: @ is above numeric 2, like I said, and “ is next to enter. When I initially installed Windows 7, it gave me an option to choose languages and later on, keyboard layouts. From the get go I chose UK as a Language and UK layout for the Keyboard. Seems that no matter how I change it, it has no effect on the problem (I’ve even tried Arabic layout for fun, that didn’t do anything)

I’m really getting frustrated with this seemingly small problem…

That is most odd. I have never heard of Windows behaving in this manner and will be intrigued to learn what the resolution is. One thought; it might be worth using Device Manager to remove all keyboard devices and let Windows install them anew when it reboots.

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Since you upgraded from Vista, it is possible that Vista sees the keyboard as a Standard PS/2 Keyboard and Windows 7 sees it as a HID keyboard device.

In the Device Manager, you can click on a device you do not want, then press the Delete key. If, for some reason, Windows still sees the deleted device it will reinstall it.

If you delete the HID keyboard device and Win7 re-installs it, you might try deleting the Standard PS/2 Keyboard. My Dell laptop is still running Vista which might explain why mine only says Standard PS/2 Keyboard.

I would also suggest you check out ijack's suggestion. His point is also valid.

Hope this helps.

PS. I hope you don't get stuck with an Arabic layout. Unless of course you're really into Arabic. :)

Lizzard

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Sorry, I just want to make double sure we're on the same page, as I find allot of problems sometimes remain unsolvable due to miscommunication. By physical layout of my keyboard, I mean that when you look at your keys, the @ key is on the same key as numeric 2, and the “ is next to the Enter, on the same key as ‘. Which one of the two (US / UK) has the physical layout defined with the @ as I just explained? I’m just worrying that I’m trying to solve the wrong problem here…

Gandalf

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
FYI - ijack's referenced link, under Edit, speaks of Windows XP.

ijack, I don't know if you checked or not, but I checked the Windows 7 Registry.
The indicated Registry location is also valid for Windows 7.

It is on mine. (Window 7 Home Premium 64-bit.) And it reads "809" as I have the UK keyboard layout.

A further thought - what about installing the US keyboard layout as well as the UK one and then seeing if the Language Indicator (which should automatically appear in the Task Bar) allows you to choose the UK one.

Lizzard

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Haha! See that's why I ask. My apologies guys, what I was looking for was actually the US layout. Not UK, thanx for pointing out Gandalf, and for your help as well ijack!!

Status
Not open for further replies.