Building my first gaming rig

Kilathi

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
So I haven't really decided on my budget yet, I've been going over all of the reviews, comparisons, and articles for the past 4 months and I've gotten an ok feel for what parts to choose. I'm still undecided on a motherboard and graphics card selection though. If I could get your input I'd very much appriecate it.

I'll be using it for gaming and word, excel, etc...I'll probably use a 17 or 19 inch flat screen.
I want to play Oblivion and Fallout 3 with darn near the best graphics settings. Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 are the upcoming games I really want to see in the best detail possible.

I'm going to use:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHZ
DDR2 Memory 4GB (I'll start with 1GB and add on throughout the holidays)

I've been considering a motherboard thats Crossfire ready using either two ATI 4870 512MB (about $260) or two ATI 4850 512MB (about $248).
I don't have alot of experiance picking out motherboards so this is where I would like some help.

The other option I'm looking at is Using the Gigbyte GA-EP43-UD3L motherboard, its only $80 at the FRY's Electronics (thats close by) right now. As far as I can tell that Motherboard isn't Crossfire ready, so then I would have to use a singular card to get somewhere close to the same graphics benchmarks as two cards set up with crossfire (if thats the case). If you have a particular graphics card in mind that would do the trick I would appriecate teh help.

My budget isn't unlimited, but I can probably get away with $600-700 if I spread it out over the next few months.

TheViper

Distinguished
That's one hell of a budget for those 2 components but I'm not going to break our bank.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - $109.99 after rebate ($129.99 before rebate)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128358

Sapphire HD 5850 - $309.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102857

The HD 5850 is tough to get a hold of at the moment but well worth it. And you'd could get the $80 Gigabyte motherboard you saw at Fry's since you'd no longer need to go Crossfire which would save you even more.

aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
you already HAVE the e8600 and 1gb of ddr2 ram?

maybe you should reconsider if not.. you're throwing a lot of money at that e8600 if not.. starting to tread into i7 territory with that kinda money.. if not, you can def get a i5 and throw more money into the 5850 that TheViper recommended..