Sign in with
Your question

Stock cooler Phenom II x4 noise

Last response: in CPUs
September 4, 2009 10:46:40 AM

Having just read the article "Is It Worth Upgrading Your Stock CPU Cooler?" (which was more or less Intel-bases), I was wondering:

I'm planning to build a PC in the near future, based around a Phenom II x4 945 (or 955). OC'ing is not planned, but might happen in the future, although I doubt it. One of the requirements is that it has to be fairly quiet. Not exactly noiseless, but quiet nevertheless. For a graphics card I'm considering a 4770 (or a 4850). However, will the stock-cooler on the Phenom be quiet enough (considering that maybe the case-fan has to work harder), or is it worth spending another $30-40 of cash for, let's say, a OCZ Vendetta2? My total budget shouldn't exceed $800 (incl. OS).
September 4, 2009 11:58:16 AM

I had a phenom II 720 and the stock cooler was awefully loud in my ears. It always turned up when not idle so that it made a constant disturbing nouse. Later a bought a Xigmatek hdts-1283 and everything was sooo silent.

I think an aftermarket cooler is a must have if you want to have a silent pc
a c 137 à CPUs
September 4, 2009 12:03:43 PM

I have a Scythe Ninja-mini on my 720BE. I selected it based on the charts at www.frostytech.com. Even though it is 80mm, it is essentially inaudible, even though it runs full-speed all the time (fan is not PWM).
!