Audio drivers?

glencharles

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
I have an Asus M4A79XTD EVO and I have the VIA hd audio drivers installed, and audio works great for system sounds, or while in game, but I cannot play any mp3s or stream anything from youtube without it sounding all distorted almost as if its under water.

I thought it may be an mp3 codec issue, but that doesnt make sense if anything I stream from the internet doesnt work either..

does anyone have any ideas? it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

glencharles

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
yeah im at a complete loss myself, ive done some googling and come up with pretty much nothing.

Read somewhere that it could be because windows outputs most sounds using directx, and that could be causing distortion issues with windows7.. but I have no idea how to change such a setting, or if that would even be the cause.

Ive got windows7 all up to date as well, so that rules out any updates being an issue.

Ive got the latest mp3 codecs I could find, the latest via hd audio driver from asus' website, etc. I know its not the via driver because system and in game sounds all work flawlessly, so that rules that out.

glencharles

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
the via drivers come with an audio manager called VDeck if I recall correctly.

there is nothing wrong with mixer settings, everything is as it should be. Like I mentioned, if the sound driver was the issue, or the audio manager, then ALL sounds that come from the PC should be distorted or clipped, etc. But such is not the case, only mp3s and sounds from webpages, ie. youtube, are distorted.