Windows 7 dual display issues

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
We have about 200 Dell Optiplex 760's that are having issues with using monitors and projectors together. When the computer powers on, most of the time they revert to the projector that is connected to the VGA port as the primary monitor while the DVI montior turns off right before the Windows 7 welcome screen appears. This happens even if the projector is not powered on at boot time. This is frustrating users because they have to turn on their projector to log in to their computer or use windows key +p to go back to duplicate mode.

The same thing happens when the monitor goes in to sleep mode after 15 minutes of inactivity. Only the projector comes back on after wiggling the mouse.

We're using the built-in Intel GMA device and the machines came with a DVI adaptor card in the PCIe slot. The exact same setup worked perfectly under XP (we upgraded to 7 this year). Display properties always show the monitor as being the primary device. If I go in to display properties when the monitor is not working, Windows only shows the projector (Generic Non-PnP monitor). Both displays have been set to 1280 x 1024. I also tried 1024 x 768 but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I have tried upgrading the Intel video driver to the latest version available on both Intel and Dell's site. I have also upgraded the BIOS to the latest version Dell has out (currently A12). I also installed monitor drivers for the Dell LCD (Ultrasharp 17"). Running Windows 7 SP1 32-bit with all current Windows updates. Projector models vary between Espon PowerLite's, Dell's, and SMART Board's with the integrated projectors so I don't think it has anything to do with them. Again - worked great under XP.

Any suggestions? I really don't want to have to buy and install video cards in these machines and I can't hook up VGA splitters because several of the users need to use extended mode. I could try adapters and switch the monitor to VGA and the projector to DVI, but then I'm going to get complaints about the projectors not coming on or going off after power save.

Please let me know if you have experienced this and found a fix. I've read a lot of complaints about similar situations with Windows 7 but I have not found any fixes yet.

Thanks

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
The machines are out of warranty so they won't help. They also shipped with XP on them. I did post in the Dell forums but no response yet. We are not seeing the issue on other Dell models with the same VGA + DVI Adapter card. We have 620's, 755's, and a few 780's.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008

Yes. The LCD is set to the primary monitor. The projector always come back on at boot/after power save. Just not the monitors.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008

The only setting in BIOS for display is "Auto" or "Add in card" setting it to add in card disables the Intel device.

halcyon

Splendid
Weird. Okay, and when the projectors are disconnnected everything works fine. Its definitely a driver issue and its dissapointing that using the latest dell driver doesn't work. ...what about if you remove the Dell driver and just use the Windows driver?

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008

Yes, when the projector is disconnected the monitor returns from sleep fine. Initially I was using the built-in Windows 7 Intel video driver. I really don't want to revert them back to XP but if I can't find a solution within the next few days I won't have a choice.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
The monitor has always been set as the primary display. Odd workaround found today... When the monitor does not come up after power save mode or a reboot, holding down the Windows key and pressing the space bar causes the monitor to turn on. No other keys or mouse movements do it. Really bizzare.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
The desktop tech who works for me found it by accident today. He thought windows key + space brought up the multi-display choices (It's win + p). Still not a fix but at least it's a simple work around until we find a permanent solution. I'm thinking it might have something to do with Aero because now I'm seeing some desktop window manager service errors in the event logs.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
Just a quick update on this in case anyone having the same issue finds it via search... Disabling the Desktop Window Manager Session Manager service seems to have cured it for us. The computers seem to be working fine now. It does disable Aero but at least the annoying display issues seem to be resolved. I accomplised it with a simple batch file that I rolled out to the 760's via SCCM. sc config uxsms start= disabled (note the space between the = sign and disabled... won't work without it) then net stop uxsms

roblmoore

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

At FOX5 we installed Sony Laptops with docking stations. OS is windows 7. Every time one of the laptops was connected to the docking station, the user would have to press winkey+p and move to the correct selection for the external monitor. it was a real pain in the butt. A solution was to put C:\Windows\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /clone into the start menu as a cmd script.