How do I control my stock CPU fan

crossedoutt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Yesterday, I downloaded speedfan to check my temps and stuff, and it looked like this at idle:

mcsvpv.jpg

The fan was really loud, and 4000+ RPM seemed uneccessary for an idle computer, so I decided to go into BIOS and see what I could do. After tinkering with a few stuff, I ran across SmartFan controls with PWM controls, and I decided to mess around with it. It made my fan run at 2000~RPM, which was extremely quiet, and my temps didn't seem to drastically change, so I thought it was good, but I ran Prime95 and monitored the fan speeds, and they did not increase at all even at 100% load.

So I disabled SmartFan and now I'm back to where I started, but now it just maintains an RPM of 3500~. I ran Prime95 again, and the RPM didn't change at all. Here are some examples:

1. Before running Prime95 (idle)

vossae.jpg

2. Running Prime95 for 15 minutes

bhzskg.jpg

3. After closing Prime95 (idle)

34oapol.jpg

Note how the fan basically stays the same throughout the whole ordeal. SmartFan was disabled and PowerNow was enabled in BIOS, and I'm running a balanced power option while doing this. I wonder why is isn't at 4000~ RPM anymore. I had it once at 4500 RPM.

If there's anything I can do to make my fan run more efficently, please tell me. Thanks =D

Solution

Yes! As long as the temps are acceptable, it is fine. The type of heatsink does not matter. Whether a fan cools it or someone blows on it, does not matter. All that matters is acceptable temps.
Between 2,000 and 2,600 RPM, with an occasional burst up to 3,200 RPM would be fine for a CPU fan. Tweak the settings in the BIOS and try to get close to these settings. Continuous RPMs higher than 3,500 will lead to premature failure (bearings), besides being too loud.

You need to get into the BIOS during the start-up of the computer. In the BIOS on my computer it is under 'PC Health Status'. Then take a look at the CPU_FAN control setting. It will say something like "If the temp is >50 set speed to 100%" - "If the temp is <40 set the speed to 60%". These are settings that you dictate. It may take a few tries to get the optimum for your setup.

Studying the manual will help.

Yes! As long as the temps are acceptable, it is fine. The type of heatsink does not matter. Whether a fan cools it or someone blows on it, does not matter. All that matters is acceptable temps.

Solution