Sean Skinner

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Hello all. I am new to this site and have minimal computer experience. I love to tinker with circutry tho :D . I recently bought a laptop ( Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955 ) and i have come to the conclusion that i need a better cpu. I have some questions after reading about other processors tho.... mine has a FBS of 800... if the processor i buy is larger, will it still be compatible with my mother board? Alot of the others i have read about seem to take less power, ergo creating less heat...... so will the cpu fan i currently have still be sufficient? Will a Dual core be larger than my current one? I have decent skill in soldering small objects w/o frying surrounding circutry, but not sure if replaceing cpu is a plug and play deal or soldering deal. Any suggestions as to what a decent cpu i can upgrade to would be very appreciated aswell as the process needed to do the job myself. Thank you to all who read/post

loneninja

Distinguished
I'm assuming you have a single core right now and want a dual core, dual core processors are the same size as a single core for socket compatibility. As long as your motherboard supports it, it'll be a simple drop in replacement, no sodering of any kind is done when changing processors.

Sean Skinner

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
And how does one go about checking to see what processor will be accomidated by which motherboard? I have a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955 the current processor is Celeron 900 800 FSB 1 MB L2 Cache 2.2 GHz seems i need more for multi-tasking. I have no idea what the mother board is and cant find specs on it. So do you have any suggestions?

D

Deleted member 217926

This is a $350 to $400 (new) laptop that Cnet basically call an upgraded netbook so I really doubt you can do much in the way of upgrading this. Just my opinion too but if you have limited computer building experience you may not want to start with a laptop as a first project. They are tiny inside and easy to break.

ulysses35

Distinguished
CPU-Z will tell you what mobo is inside your laptop. From previous experience taking a laptop apart is no easy task. The case alone will have anything for 10-20 screws before you get anywhere close to seeing the mobo.

Also buy putting a faster CPU in your laptop (if possible) you also have the problem with extra heat - seeing as ALL laptops have some form of heatpipe cooling arrangement you wont be able to upgrade the cooling.

well if you do find out which cpu you can use, i would recommend getting the technician manual from toshiba (its a download) and using that as it should show you how to disassemble the laptop (which also tells you how to put it back together)

also make sure you have a very large work area, this way you can put each step in a separate spot making it easier to assemble

Sean Skinner

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
I have successfully dissassembled and re-assembled laptops for minor repairs in the past. I am aware of the mass amounts of screws and small ( breakable ) parts aswell as the couple of quick connect wire sets that connect the different components. I am confidant in my skills to do the work, just not sure of my intelligence level in finding a suitable CPU.

Sean Skinner

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
Know what im doing yes, know how to find what is compatible not so sure.......ergo why i am asking in a form as to some suggestions for a suitable replacement processor, to which i still have none.

D

Deleted member 217926

Actually the solution was posted above. Download CPUZ http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php or Everest and either will tell you the motherboard in your laptop. Then go to the manufacturers website to find a list of supported processors.

Spaztron64

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
I have the exact same laptop and the processors youre looking for are Processors made for the Socket P socket.Its really a socket 478 version 2.On wikipedia you can see a list of core 2 processors and on that list use Ctrl+F and type in Socket P and all processors supporting the socket will be shown,but pick a processor wisely cause you need to pay attention to the TDP which if too high will output alot of heat and it will overheat if you dont have a cooling pad,and watch for how much energy it consumes because if it consumes too much not enough power will be supplied to the laptop.