Sign in with
Your question

About FSB:DRAM ratio and temps

Last response: in Overclocking
April 22, 2011 7:08:55 PM

I read on some forums that a ratio of 1:1 might actually decrease the temp of a oc'ed CPU (in comparison to the same OC with a asychronous ratio), is this true?

I'm asking because my E8400 is on its stock cooler and seeing as how i just got a new GPU it'll be a while until i want to spend more bucks. Besides, i'm only interested in a slight oc, even 3.2 GHz might be enough. I wouldn't be worried if it weren't for the fact that summer is near and the CPU gets really up there on the 65ºC~ safe limit on the hottest days. I guess i could just try but i thought i should ask first; if i make my FSB 355 Mhz and the Ram (which are Corsair Dominator 1066 5-5-5-18 btw) at 710mhz will i get a slightly lower temp (even if just 1ºC) along with an increase in performance or the temp rise?

Or on the other hand, will i not even need to increase the CPU voltage (due to "small" overclock) and the temp will stay the same because of that?

If you're wondering why im into doing this, well my CPU performance pleases me but aside from wanting to squeeze a bit more within safe temps, i also notice small quick ocasional stuttering in CPU/RAM intensive games like Crysis 2 and STALKER Call of Pripyat, which i think may be caused by the 5:8 ratio it's currently on. It's not my GPU, it runs the games quite well and with high framerates.

Here is the system just in case:

E8400 stock with stock cooler as well
Sapphire 5850 Xtreme edition
Corsair VX550w
Corsair Dominator 1066
Asus P5Q

edit: Also, for temp measurement sake, i noticed that the Hardware monitor (accessed through Bios) seems to be measuring with a Tjmax of 95, because its temps are always 5ºC lower than the ones on Realtemp (using tjmax of 100). I assume the realtemp data is correct and should disregard the lower temps on the hardware monitor/bios?

More about : fsb dram ratio temps

a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 6:19:17 PM

Deadstar said:
I read on some forums that a ratio of 1:1 might actually decrease the temp of a oc'ed CPU (in comparison to the same OC with a asychronous ratio), is this true?

Probably not. On the other hand, a Core2 system does not really benefit from overclocking the RAM and it can decrease stability.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth
!