Custom Built Computer Won't Turn On

Hello all, I have a pretty seriously problem with my home built computer. I have had it for about 7 years now and every two years or so I just upgrade a part on it. About 5 months ago it just stopped working and the harddrive failed. The power would turn on about once every 50 times i pushed the power button. So to clarify things, my computer would not start up, but if I kept pushing the power button and messing around with he power supply, the computer would finally start up.

Recently I decided to try and fix this problem and I drew the conclusion that it was either the motherboard or the power supply causing the problem. I bought them both and low and behold STILL WOULD NOT TURN ON. Now this new motherboard had a power switch on the board itself, which when turned on would trigger the lights of the motherboard so I would know the board was getting power. Whenever I pressed the power button on the board I would get nothing, no lights, no fan starting up, nothing.

So this brings me to my question. If a computer wont even turn on and it doesn't seem that the motherboard is even receiving power... what could it be.

Here are my specs.
4G DDR2 RAM
2 80G SATA hard drives
CPU- AMD Athlon 64 x2 'ADA5200IAA6CS'
Motherboard- EVGA nForce 730a
Power Supply - BFG ATX 2.2
Graphics Card - Nvidia 8600 GTS

So I would really appreciate the comments. All I can think about is the CPU now being bad, but I don't understand why that could affect power capabilities. From research i have done, the Motherboard, CPU and Power supply are all compatable with each other.
1 answer Last reply
More about custom built computer turn
  1. You may have identical symptoms, but that does not mean you still have the same problem.

This checklist should fix you right up.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-build-post-checklist
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Computer Power Motherboards Systems