Boot hangs if usb device plugged in

Abe_m

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
PC hangs in the boot sequence with a blue screen. In Safe Mode it hangs with the driver displayed, last one loaded before hang, I assume, windows\system32\drivers\hotcore3.sys. The driver loaded just before this one is Mup.sys. But iI think this is a red herring. In Safe Mode if left for a few minutes the blue screen vanishes and the system goes to the SAFE screen (4 corners) and boots up in Safe Mode. Tech support says to reload the USB drivers but deleting or refreshing them does no good. (as well as deleting the hardware and renaming the drivers so Win has to reload them) They gave me a download for driver replacement but their .exe program says the drivers are good and will not replace them. Their Delete program does not seem to work.
Strangely, if I access the BIOS during Boot, the system boots fine with the Scanner plugged in.
The device I use for testing is a HP Scanjet Scanner, but my external HD does the same thing. I tried a rear USB port and it is the same.
A neat little program, freeware, (USBView.exe) shows a list of the last USB drivers loaded and if anything is connected or not. It lists several copies of each drivers used in the past but none left connected. For example there are 4 copies of the Scanner driver listed, none in use (scanner not connected). When I connect the scanner, it overwrites the latest driver listed with a connected Scanner Driver.
Incidentally, the Scanner works fine after the system boots up.
I am also having trouble with my HP printer disconnecting during print. It is on the parallel port. It seems to do this if I start other jobs when printing is in progress.
I replaced the Power Supply with a bigger wattage one.
I am considering re-flashing the BIOS. It is Ver. 1.0h. The chipset is SiS661FX
The Motherboard is a 661FX-M7 Ver. 1.1, with 512M memory and a Pentium 4 processor.
I have had trouble of this sort since I received this system, as a used system. The Keyboard and Mouse are both PS-2's. The system is Win XP and the HD was cloned from an old system.

Abe_m

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Thanks for the replu jsc. Much appreciated.
I re-installed Windows XP if that constitutes a Clean Install. I saved and used my original settings though. I'm not too up on installation but am guessing a fresh look at the hardware would be included in re-installing. Am I wrong?
Would replacing the .sys driver files be good enough or would I need to go back to the .inf files?

Abe_m

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Is there any where I can find a list of driver files for my hardware?
All I can come up with using Google is analysing programs for sale. When I run any of these they do not show USB drivers in trouble, or if they do I have to buy the program to get any help.
Is it possible a wrong driver could have established itself as my legit USB driver? Say a driver from my HP printer (Photosmart 1115) that has memory slots for cameras (with drivers)? I am going to uninstall this printer and try a boot with my Scanner plugged into the USB.

Abe_m

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
Thanks for the reply blackns. I have deleted the .sys files for the USB and used the CD to reload them. That is why a I am thinking it is a secondary driver that is the problem. Say for example, my HP Printer has memory card ports and drivers for them, or there are drivers for USB extended RAM. The USB Drivers list:

SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7001&SUBSYS_1B301019&REV_0F\3&61AAA01&0&18
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7001&SUBSYS_1B301019&REV_0F\3&61AAA01&0&19
SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7001&SUBSYS_1B301019&REV_0F\3&61AAA01&0&1A
SiS PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller PCI\VEN_1039&DEV_7002&SUBSYS_1B301019&REV_00\3&61AAA01&0&1B
USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&167E925&0
USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&2A490287&0
USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&2FE9B89A&0
USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&24D1E2B6&0

usbaudio USB Audio Driver (WDM) c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbaudio.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No
usbccgp Microsoft USB Generic Parent Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbccgp.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No
usbehci Microsoft USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller Miniport Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbehci.sys Kernel Driver Yes Manual Running OK Normal No Yes
usbhub USB2 Enabled Hub c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys Kernel Driver Yes Manual Running OK Normal No Yes
usbohci Microsoft USB Open Host Controller Miniport Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbohci.sys Kernel Driver Yes Manual Running OK Normal No Yes
usbscan USB Scanner Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbscan.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No
usbstor USB Mass Storage Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\usbstor.sys Kernel Driver No Manual Stopped OK Normal No No
vgasave VGA Display Controller. c:\windows\system32\drivers\vga.sys Kernel Driver Yes System Running OK Ignore No Yes

I deleted the Root Hub and SiS drivers but not the USBaudio for example. What do you think?

Abe_m

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I'm thinking this one has everyone stumped. I deleted the HP Printer totally and all it's software. Still have the USB plug-in problem.
Strange thing, it sometimes will boot if the Bios is accessed and any changes have been made.
My last resort is to re-flash the Bios.

Abe_m

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I have decided to re-load all my drivers, one by one, and see if any solves this problem. My system symptoms seem to change with removal of some drivers and removal of Registry errors. Now the system will only fail if a USB device is plugged in from a Cold (power off) boot.
Does anyone have any experience with Registry Repair software? I have used Glary Soft and it removes a few problems. But after it has removed a hundred or so Cyber Defender says there are 900+ but of course I have to buy the software to clean my system.