laptop keys becoming shiny...

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 12, 2004 2:15:09 AM

I use my dell laptop as my main computer, and the keys have become
significantly smoother and shinier. Is there any way to prevent this kind
of wear and tear except by not using my computer as much?

- 2fast

More about : laptop keys shiny

April 12, 2004 2:16:02 AM

Get an external keyboard.

Aaron

"2fast" <2fast@2fast.com> wrote in message
> I use my dell laptop as my main computer, and the keys have become
> significantly smoother and shinier. Is there any way to prevent this kind
> of wear and tear except by not using my computer as much?
>
> - 2fast

April 12, 2004 2:19:12 AM

Yup, that would do it, but usually I am everywhere but home when I use my
computer. Do you think that it's body oil or just friction that's causing
such shine?

- 2fast

> Get an external keyboard.
>
> Aaron
>
> "2fast" <2fast@2fast.com> wrote in message
> > I use my dell laptop as my main computer, and the keys have become
> > significantly smoother and shinier. Is there any way to prevent this
kind
> > of wear and tear except by not using my computer as much?
> >
> > - 2fast
a b D Laptop
April 12, 2004 7:31:23 AM

It's friction, so there isn't much you can do about it... But I wouldn't
worry too much about it, since I doubt it affects the keyboard
functionality.

Cosmin

2fast wrote:

> Yup, that would do it, but usually I am everywhere but home when I use my
> computer. Do you think that it's body oil or just friction that's causing
> such shine?
>
> - 2fast
>

>>Get an external keyboard.
>>
>> Aaron
>>
>>"2fast" <2fast@2fast.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I use my dell laptop as my main computer, and the keys have become
>>>significantly smoother and shinier. Is there any way to prevent this
>
> kind
>
>>>of wear and tear except by not using my computer as much?
>>>
>>>- 2fast

April 13, 2004 2:30:18 AM

2fast wrote:

> I use my dell laptop as my main computer, and the keys have become
> significantly smoother and shinier. Is there any way to prevent this kind
> of wear and tear except by not using my computer as much?
>
> - 2fast

You can use a mild solution of windex and wipe the surface of the keys
clean. The smoothness is caused from the friction from your finger tips
and oils from your skin. Or if nothing else replace the keys if possible..
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 13, 2004 10:39:06 AM

> Yup, that would do it, but usually I am everywhere but home when I use my
> computer. Do you think that it's body oil or just friction that's causing

Well gee, look at the keys. You'll see that the factory finish is kind
of sandblasted, with a rough surface. As you type, you wear off the
protrusions in that rough surface and you buff it shiny. You can clean
the oils off the key but it will still be shiny in the spots you
press. For instance, I mostly press the spacebar with my right thumb,
so there is a big shiny spot on the RHS of it (on every computer I
own), and a less-noticeable spot on the LHS where I press less
frequently. Z, X and Caps Lock don't get much wear and therefore look
almost new, but a key like E or N which is pressed very frequently is
totally shiny.

The only way to restore a factory look to your keyboard is to replace
it, but you'll very quickly see the shiny look come back.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 15, 2004 8:01:07 PM

My shiniest keys are F and J - I wonder if it's because I spend so much time
about to start typing and not actually doing it...

Duncan.

!