H60..Adequate for OC'ing...i7 2600k?

gainiac

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
I found this test concerning the H60:

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=29609&page=1

Seems to be that the H60 is a solid contender versus the GIGANTIC air cooled solutions. Lower profile and possibly quieter?

Does the i7 980x run much hotter then the i7 2600k?

From what I understand the 2600K should be a much cooler running CPU overall.

The reason I ask is I'm going to be doing my own OC for the first time and I'd like to get to some moderate/aggressive cycles. If the 2600K is indeed a cooler running architecture then it would seem the H60 is fairly adequate for cooling?

Another concern of mine is noise. So with the idea of moving enough air quietly being a driver I'm going to be using the Corsair 600T case. From what I understand the large 200mm's are relatively quiet yet have excellent static pressures.

Regarding the fans on the H60....I've heard the 70 can be quite noisy so I am prepared to fit the radiator with aftermarket fans. I haven't quite settled on which ones....These seem to be an excellent contendor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999007

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

all this small factor LC/AIR coolers come with high density (FPI~fins per inch) rad's which require high CFM/RPM/good static pressure..it's been proven time and time again that 1400RPM just won't cut it , actually 1700 RPM fans that this unit comes with is the slowest one out of all H series i think,if you want to experiment with slower fans on this unit i would suggest cheap pair of YATE LOON D12SL-12 (very close to GT's);
http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SL-12-pr-3009.html
but...

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
My 2600 is running (stock speeds) idle at 34C, and under prolonged 100% load it's only ever hit the high 50-s, and low 60's on a Corsair H50.

You can overclock using this cooler for sure, I would start to feel uncomfortable when temps hit around the 70-80 range during load.

You can probably hit 4GHz on this and higher, although I'm not sure, I hit 4.2GHz on my old Phenom II 955BE on this H50 and temps under full load we're always 61C.

Don't have the H60 in here .... but should give you an idea .... test was done on i7-950 4.025 Ghz (1.35 volts)

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=721&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=5

Coolit ECO A.L.C. 75.2
Corsair H50 73.1
Coolit Vantage A.L.C. (extreme) 73.0
Corsair H70 (low) 67.7
Prolimatech Super Mega 67.2
Antec Kühler H2O 620 65.9
Corsair H70 (high) 65.3
Thermalright Venomous X 63.
Thermalright Silver Arrow 61.8
Cooler Master V6 GT 61.2
Antec Kühler H2O 920 60.6

The 920 and H70 are a bit load ....the Silver Arrow I can tell you is whisper quiet.....the V6 GT is loud.

gainiac

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011
Well,

I pulled the trigger on the H60. I'm going to install some Gentle Typhoon AP14's on it. I figure for grease I'll use the Indigo Xtreme or MX4 product. Backup plan will be a Promilatech Genesis.

gainiac

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

Why the 15? It's 7db louder for only 13 m3/h gain in airflow....

I was wondering about the Indigo.....It seems to be a process whereby heat flows the TIM between the conduction points for an even hermetic seal?

Thanks as usual Orto...

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I read Newegg reviews with a large grain of salt. Most of them are completely worthless.

As for the H60...why did you decide on that cooler? A contender vs. giant air coolers? Contender in what meaning...that it wins with less space being occupied? From what I've read, it doesn't really perform that much better than the H50/H70 which are both usually on-par with air coolers. Sounds like someone fell victim to marketing and poor reviews.

gainiac

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

That's not a Newegg review......so I don''t know what you're referring to?

(You're referring to that fan.........got it.)

As for the H60.....Yes as you said, its low profile compared to similiar performance air coolers. From what I understand it's the latest version of the Corsair product. H50 and H70 is Asetek product. H60 is the results of the buyout of CoolIT.

In the online comparisons with top line air coolers, I've read thus far, the Corsair H series seem to perform comparably. The biggest complaints being fan noise. I'll install aftermarket fans to address that issue. I'd say that air coolers have reached their limits, much too large imo and I can't help but wonder how that affects overall airflow and cooling inside the case.

So if the performance proves to be comparable to top tier air cooling as indicated by comparisons/write ups it seems an equivalent substitute with the advantage of small size, as well as leaving the interior of the case open.

If I've fallen "victim" to marketing and poor reviews please elucidate how?

All my product research has stemmed from following various links from this website.

thx

Thanks,

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The fans you posted were from Newegg...not many people actually link to Logisys fans, so I was wondering how you came across those?

For the price and performance of the H-series coolers, you are spending close to $100 on a cooler that performs as well as $50-$70 coolers. For it to perform better than par, you need good fans in push/pull...tack on another $25-$30. For $130 you can get into actual watercooling.

Yes, for some, LCS coolers work simply because of the lack of space. You could also go with low-profile air coolers...there are some that do pretty well if you have good case airflow.

ortoklaz

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010

all this small factor LC/AIR coolers come with high density (FPI~fins per inch) rad's which require high CFM/RPM/good static pressure..it's been proven time and time again that 1400RPM just won't cut it , actually 1700 RPM fans that this unit comes with is the slowest one out of all H series i think,if you want to experiment with slower fans on this unit i would suggest cheap pair of YATE LOON D12SL-12 (very close to GT's);
http://www.jab-tech.com/YATE-LOON-120mm-Case-Fan-D12SL-12-pr-3009.html
but if you want performance GT AP15 is still the king.
Note; H60 comes with all aluminium RAD

Indigo is great TIM if you apply it just right (it comes with 4 pages on how to..),the key is to have your MB in dead level
http://skinneelabs.com/2011-mx2-ix-ssg/2/
http://www.youtube.com/user/thegcpu#p/u/7/rdVYTgqKUVg
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=268741

Solution

gainiac

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

I understand what you're saying and have considered the full w/c option. I just don't want to get into that, not where I want to focus my effort....Pumps, reservoirs, hoses, bleeding the loop, coolant, blocks, retrofitting my case, not my cup of tea. ;)

..... I see the H60 as a header that basically eliminates the large in case radiator and it directs the output right out the back of the case....

There is an appeal to a modular factory closed loop solution and with better fans it seems to be a fairly realistic solution. I know this is the w/c forum but what low profile air would you recommend?

As a backup plan I plan to have a Prolimatech Genesis ready to go, or a Tuniq Tower Extreme......

thx

gainiac

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2011

Well, I'll go with the AP15's then....besides they're available! I can't find the 14 anywhere. Being that the H60 radiator is aluminium what do I need to be concerned with?

bejabbers

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2009
Just going to throw this out there, I've got the 600t as well and there is room for real watercooling. For what you're going to be putting out to get decent temps with the h60, you could put that towards the XSPC rasa 240 kit and get real results. The RS radiators are slim enough to fit at the top of the case without interfering with your motherboard, and you'll get way better results.

My 920 runs idle at low 30s and with prime 95 barely even hits 50C.

TRENDING THREADS