Feeling a little overwhelmed!

joe-enjoi

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
(Sorry if i've posted this in the wrong sub forum)

Hi. This is a first time build so I'm looking for a little bit of guidance. It's to do with processor cooling on a M4A89TD motherboard using a coolit eco alc (ECO R-120) water cooler. I can provide more info on the other parts if need be.

1.Basically i was wondering are the processor and the heatsink supposed to touch?

Also, this one is a little more specific and even harder to explain without sounding like a moron. But. I've seen people complaining alot on forums over this product as there are no backplates for amd motherboards provided with the cooler. Coolit supply this product on the basis that the majority of amd boards come equipped with backplates already, apparently.

Reading the above sapped my confidence a little as after countless searches, trying to find if my motherboard has a said "backplate" proved fruitless and all the tutorials i have been able to find on AMD installation dont seem to have a raised header around the cpu, its leading me to confusion. So with that.

2.Would it just be a simple case of unscrewing the 4 pins of the motherboards header and screwing the heatsink down through it, into what i presume is the backplate (shiny metal thing on the back of the board)

I'm asking questions that probably come with an obvious answer but a little re assurance is much needed if anything.

Thanks.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You might want to contact the cooler manufacturer...often times you end up with a box that is missing a part....especially if you get it from a local retailer and someone has returned it and the unsuspecting employees place it back on the floor to be re-sold. Contact Coolit and see what they say...it sounds about right for an LCS system from them to install about as well as it performs: poorly.