Sign in with
Your question

CoolerMaster Silent Pro M 600w & Antec 300

Last response: in Components
September 4, 2009 7:37:51 PM

Hello,

Just ordered this case and the PSU and have a silly question. The Antec case mounts the PSU at the bottom. The PSU has a huge 135mm fan, and if mounted at the bottom of the case the right way up this puts the fan directly against the bottom of the case. Is this PSU supposed to be mounted upside down in a case like this?

I guess not having actually seen the two except in pictures and not having a lot of experience, I just can't put it together how the fan will do any good pressed against the case bottom.

September 4, 2009 7:48:09 PM

Okay, I think I got it.

I found a picture of the case on flickr and it looks like there are tabs that the PSU sits on to hold it about a 1/2 inch off the bottom of the case. That would make sense, it gives the PSU a little channel to blow out the hot air.

Edited: I just found another picture where someone did flip the PSU so that the fan was facing up. So, back to my original question. Which is the preferred way?
m
l
a c 248 ) Power supply
September 4, 2009 8:10:42 PM

It's simple. If there is an opening in the bottom panel just below the power supply, then the power supply can be oriented fan side down so it can pull in cool outside air that flows through the power supply, and then exhausts out the back panel. The concept is that the psu cools itself. If there is no opening in the bottom of the panel, then orient the psu fan side up so it can help exhaust warm air out of the case.

The Antec Three Hundred case does not have an opening in the bottom panel. Install your psu so that the fan is on top. It will help to remove hot air from the case.
m
l
!