RAID 1 Degraded

hawk97135

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Hi everyone.

I am using an ASUS M2N Sli motherboard. I have 4 physical hard drives in my computer. I have 2 identical 160gb hard drives in my computer. These are currently set up in RAID 1 configuration & contain my windows installation, with my other 2 hard drives operating independently.

I turned my computer on today to find that during the POST the computer came up with a message saying that both RAID drives are degraded. My computer appears to be operating normally (ie booting and no errors appearing apart from the one during post) and am currently making this post on it. However the 2 drives are appearing as separate in My Computer, each with there own drive letters and fully formatted and accessible.

I am relatively new to RAID but it is my understanding that in a RAID 1 configuration if 1 drive fails the other drive will continue to operate as per normal with the other drive not appearing.

My question is does it look like my one drive has failed or has the raid controller failed or should I just do a rebuild and see what happens?

I am currently doing a complete backup of my computer and after this is finished I was going to run a chkdsk, or whatever it is called now, on both drives.

thenewnumber2

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009

Your RAID1 is only working because you still have redundancy, i.e. a complete copy exists in between both HDD's. It will fail when this ceases to be true.

On that note, the standard RAID1 rebuild isn't going to fly, because neither HDD has an accurate copy of the mirror. I would create a new array with fresh HDD's and do some juggling to swap out the bad drives.

The New Number Two