My router upstairs or down stairs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cortleywilliams

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I have bought a laptop and not quite sure of how i should set up a router. The computer will DSL that i would need to connect it too is downstairs, and our basement is cement. If I place the router downstairs will I be able to connect to the wireless internet upstairs, or will it create interference down stairs.

Secondly, what all do I need to set my laptop up with wireless internet? I know i need a router but do I need an adapter for my laptop to connect to the router? HELP!!!

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
Without the model number of your Laptop I couldn't tell you if you need an additional adapter, or if the laptop has built in wireless.

As for the router in the basement, unless your floors are cement, the router's wireless should reach. Somewhere in the center of where you want access would be best, so if you want it all over, then in the middle of the basement as close to the ceiling as you can place it.

cortleywilliams

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010

The model is Inspirion 15 and it has an intel wifi and wireless n card.

The floor of my basement is cement but the ceiling, which is the second floor of my house, is not cement.

scaye

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2007
hehe... sorry I meant the first floor or the ceiling of the basement to put it another way.

if the router is going in the basement place it in the center next to the ceiling if you can.

The laptop should not need another adapter. It has one built in.

Status
Not open for further replies.