firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
i run linux mint as my os

my pc setup is this

530W psu

dual core amd athlon 5000 x2 2.6 ghz
5GB ddr2 800mhz
integrated graphics (suposebly it can handle blu ray but w/e)
main board is a ECS GF8200a

i notice a little lag when i have all the fancy desktop effects enabled and when i watch a movie it lags a tad when opening a window like IM chats becuase it does a crazy effect while it brings it up.. in turn the dvd stops for a sec.

i like the ati 4830 but if i can go cheeper i would like to.. i dont play games and dont use gpu intensive apps so i dont know what to get. my budget is no more than 80$ but the cheeper the better. i have 1 PCIe x16 2 slot so i can have any video card im sure.

my psu should be good for anything i need.. my board suports the nividea hybrid crap but im thinking that i need a newer video card for that.. just a thought..

i use my pc for basic home use nothing fancy

thanks for any help

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
okay thanks everyone. im going with the gigabyte one. its a tad faster, has a fan, and is a little cheaper. thanks again and this topic can be closed.

you gotta luv neweggs random free shipping.. so anyone who cares im getting free shipping on the card for 3 day and it doesn't advertise it.. :)

G

The Gigabyte 9800GT OC edition is good card it is shorter than most 9800gt's and should run just fine on that PS plus it comes factory with a $50 Zalman cooler which runs between 40-55c and I was able to pic a couple of them up on sale for $79! with 2 of them in SLI they more than beat out my $300 GTX260 OC and take up less room and use less power.

G

to ct1615 what is that suppose to mean? I was simply suggesting a great card within his price range that will more than meet his needs and is small enough to fit even the smallest of setups with great cooling.