Sign in with
Your question

Will a 2cd HDD increase Local Disk C: space or create Local disk D:?

Last response: in Storage
February 5, 2011 8:09:49 AM

Ok so i have a single 500gig HDD in my new self built gaming pc and all i did was connect the cables, turn on the pc and install windows 7. now windows 7 takes up around 15 gigs and wow takes up around 25 to 30 gigs (apparently, but i never took notice of it i just thought it was 10 gigs like years ago)

i was not asked to partition space for windows 7, i was only asked to select the HDD where it would be installed and i did since it was the only hdd i have.

now my question is that if i purchase another 500gig hdd or say a 1 tb hdd will it increase my Local Disk C; file by purchased amount?

or

Will it create a seperate file called Local Disk D: or Local Disk E: ??????

i have a laptop that will essentially be the slave to my gaming pc because i am using my laptop for day to day stuff but my gaming pc when i have a few hours to enjoy.....each day lol. i just dont want to clog up my pc with rubbish...thats what my laptop is for ha =P

thank you for reading and contributing :) 
a b $ Windows 7
a c 143 G Storage
February 5, 2011 10:51:31 AM

It will create "Local Disk E" on your PC once you format it.

You do have the option to "ghost" it to your Disk C as a folder on the drive. It won't show an increase on your Disk C but it'll allow you to install programs or such easier on your Disk C on the spare drive. I done this before with a SSD and place the "drive" in my Program x86 folder so when I install games it was easier to select that folder for installation.
February 5, 2011 11:32:32 AM

and since its a custom pc is their any way i can make a restore file that contains my operating system and world of warcraft folder so i dont have to download or re install them when i do a factory restore? even tho it didnt come from a factory you know
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a c 143 G Storage
February 5, 2011 11:47:01 AM

You can use a program to clone your hard drive, so when ever you do a fresh install, you can install the drive clone to bring it back to original state (this is recommended to clone after a fresh install and what you really want is installed).

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...
February 5, 2011 11:56:23 AM

and since its a custom pc is their any way i can make a restore file that contains my operating system and world of warcraft folder so i dont have to download or re install them when i do a factory restore? even tho it didnt come from a factory you know

sorry for the repost it was an accident
February 5, 2011 12:01:52 PM

tecmo34 said:
You can use a program to clone your hard drive, so when ever you do a fresh install, you can install the drive clone to bring it back to original state (this is recommended to clone after a fresh install and what you really want is installed).

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage...

so tecmo with that link i can keep windows 7 and world of warcraft safe even if i do a full restore it will still be there???

and sorry to be cheap but is there a program thats free that can do this??
maybe something in windows 7 itself that offers this???

thanks for your very helpful reply
a b $ Windows 7
a c 143 G Storage
February 5, 2011 12:33:01 PM

1) Basically, cloning software takes an "image" of your drive at a certain point of time and you use it to reinstall the OS & setup (not the Windows Disk)... Google about it and learn before trying :) 

2) There are free programs out there. Do a simple Google search and you'll find programs you can utilize for cloning.
February 5, 2011 12:41:06 PM

tecmo34 said:
1) Basically, cloning software takes an "image" of your drive at a certain point of time and you use it to reinstall the OS & setup (not the Windows Disk)... Google about it and learn before trying :) 

2) There are free programs out there. Do a simple Google search and you'll find programs you can utilize for cloning.

thanks allot :D  im gonna do that after wow finishes to download haha =P
!