Will a 2cd HDD increase Local Disk C: space or create Local disk D:?

Ok so i have a single 500gig HDD in my new self built gaming pc and all i did was connect the cables, turn on the pc and install windows 7. now windows 7 takes up around 15 gigs and wow takes up around 25 to 30 gigs (apparently, but i never took notice of it i just thought it was 10 gigs like years ago)

i was not asked to partition space for windows 7, i was only asked to select the HDD where it would be installed and i did since it was the only hdd i have.

now my question is that if i purchase another 500gig hdd or say a 1 tb hdd will it increase my Local Disk C; file by purchased amount?

or

Will it create a seperate file called Local Disk D: or Local Disk E: ??????

i have a laptop that will essentially be the slave to my gaming pc because i am using my laptop for day to day stuff but my gaming pc when i have a few hours to enjoy.....each day lol. i just dont want to clog up my pc with rubbish...thats what my laptop is for ha =P

thank you for reading and contributing :)
7 answers Last reply
More about will increase local disk space create local disk
  1. It will create "Local Disk E" on your PC once you format it.

You do have the option to "ghost" it to your Disk C as a folder on the drive. It won't show an increase on your Disk C but it'll allow you to install programs or such easier on your Disk C on the spare drive. I done this before with a SSD and place the "drive" in my Program x86 folder so when I install games it was easier to select that folder for installation.
  2. and since its a custom pc is their any way i can make a restore file that contains my operating system and world of warcraft folder so i dont have to download or re install them when i do a factory restore? even tho it didnt come from a factory you know
  3. You can use a program to clone your hard drive, so when ever you do a fresh install, you can install the drive clone to bring it back to original state (this is recommended to clone after a fresh install and what you really want is installed).

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html
  4. and since its a custom pc is their any way i can make a restore file that contains my operating system and world of warcraft folder so i dont have to download or re install them when i do a factory restore? even tho it didnt come from a factory you know

sorry for the repost it was an accident
  5. tecmo34 said:
    You can use a program to clone your hard drive, so when ever you do a fresh install, you can install the drive clone to bring it back to original state (this is recommended to clone after a fresh install and what you really want is installed).

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/index.html

so tecmo with that link i can keep windows 7 and world of warcraft safe even if i do a full restore it will still be there???

and sorry to be cheap but is there a program thats free that can do this??
    maybe something in windows 7 itself that offers this???

thanks for your very helpful reply
  6. 1) Basically, cloning software takes an "image" of your drive at a certain point of time and you use it to reinstall the OS & setup (not the Windows Disk)... Google about it and learn before trying :)

2) There are free programs out there. Do a simple Google search and you'll find programs you can utilize for cloning.
  7. tecmo34 said:
    1) Basically, cloning software takes an "image" of your drive at a certain point of time and you use it to reinstall the OS & setup (not the Windows Disk)... Google about it and learn before trying :)

2) There are free programs out there. Do a simple Google search and you'll find programs you can utilize for cloning.

thanks allot :D im gonna do that after wow finishes to download haha =P
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows 7 Storage