Death of the socket 1366?

drums101

Distinguished
Does anyone know why intel decided to release the new core i7s on the socket 1156? I have heard rumors that they are not goin to use the socket 1366 anymore except for the gultown cpu coming up...

Solution
socket 1366 is going to be around for the next couple of years at least. There are newer cpu's planned for next year using the same socket.

The only reason there is a difference bewteen 1156 & 1366 is the latters tri-channel memory controller.

ulysses35

Distinguished
socket 1366 is going to be around for the next couple of years at least. There are newer cpu's planned for next year using the same socket.

The only reason there is a difference bewteen 1156 & 1366 is the latters tri-channel memory controller.

Solution

ComputerNovice

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009

From what I have read on the internet in the last few weeks, pretty much everyone says that the 1366 socket is going to be the socket intel uses for their 6 and 8 core CPU's that they plan to realease. Therefore from what I have read and understand Intel is planning on using the 1366 socket type for all of its higher end new CPU's that it plans to come out with.

The 1156 socket was simply meant for the mid-low level computer users where as the 1366 is meant for high end more powerful/expensive desktops/pc's so as far as I know the 1366 socket is going to be getting used for quite awhile. Thats honestly why I decided to go ahead and do a 920 build even though the 860 beats it on a lot of benchmarks, because I want to be able to use my MOBO for awhile.