What would I need

cheyannecool

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Wow where do I start..Purchased gateway lx6810..computer told me to formatt my HD for raid(only one hard drive). Wiped out most of OS and system restore. Cant disable in bios or change back. Cant use recovery disks. Gateway says its my fault.(just newbe didn't know). What can I salvage out of this machine. What hardware can I keep? What hardware to replace? Would just buying new stuff work in this machine? Any help please...Any suggestions please

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009

If you've created a raid setup and wiped your HDD, you'll have to reinstall the OS from scratch. Disableing the BIOS (?) or resetting the CMOS won't do anything, whats done is done. However, assuming you didn't drop it out the window of a 3 story building during the raid setup, all you did was erase your HDD so just reinstall the OS from scratch.

drunknmunkys

Distinguished
May 10, 2009
What exactly does it say? Have you changed the boot priority to CD? I think it's possible that if you completely wiped your HDD, and the recovery CD isn't a true 'Microsoft qualifying product' then you won't be able to do a full install, only a repair so to speak.

If one 'reformats' the hard disk all information [data etc] is LOST.

Any 'install' done after a reformat is regarded as a CLEAN install.

You will be obliged to insert a qualifing CD during the installation of XP.

If that's the case you might have to get a real OS install cd; I would recommend calling your laptop provider again and explaining you accidently wiped the HDD and require a clean OS install. It's probably easier just to go buy a new copy then it would be to send your laptop back, which is most likely what they'd have you do IF they decided to help you.