Intel RST sees raid volume but Windows 7 does not.

Explo

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hey everyone, I've tried browsing around, and I've found threads about similar problems, but they don't seem to apply entirely to my situation...

So, using a GA-P67A-UD7, I configured two samsung spinpoint F4s in the BIOS, they are on the Intel P67 controller. I boot to windows 7 (this raid was configured before I did a fresh install), and the volume does not show up.

Under disk management, it is simply called "Disk 0," not what I named it in the BIOS, and I cannot seem to get Windows to acknowledge it as a volume so that I can give it a letter. My boot SSD is listed up above as the C drive, but my raid is in the section down below (if you're familiar with the disk management interface). The only options seem to be to convert to "dynamic disk" or create a spanned, striped, or mirrored volume... but I already did that in the BIOS! I made it striped.

If I open the Intel RST program, my raid is there, it's correctly named, everything seems fine.

How do I get this to show up in my Windows drive list?

Thanks everyone!

Solution
In the bios you created the raid disk, but in windows you have to partition and format it before windows can use it. Creating the disk doesn't do that it just makes it look like one big disk.

I assume you're seeing "Disk 0" in the Disk Management window?

- Start --> right-click "Computer", select "Manage"
- Click the "Disk Management" link in the left pane.

If so, and if there's no drive letter assigned, it's because the volume hasn't been partitioned and formatted. Right-click the "Disk 0" to create a volume (partition it) and then format it.

Explo

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Hmm, alright. But, if that is the case, what did I do in the BIOS? I created a volume and gave it a name, you're saying I need to do it again in Windows? That won't conflict with what I did in the BIOS?

EDIT: also, if I select my motherboard under "devices and printers," my raid shows up as one of the disk drives.

rand_79

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
screenshots would be useful.

I think you just need to import the volume or if it was empty just make it with the windows disc management.

If you create a volume in the bios its not necessarily making the partition(s) etc

Explo

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Here is the screengrab of my Intel RST Window and my Disk management window:

http://img201.imageshack.us/f/screengrab1.jpg/

And here is a mediocre picture of my raid setup in the bios:

http://img9.imageshack.us/f/photo3dh.jpg/

Does that work?

baddad

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
In the bios you created the raid disk, but in windows you have to partition and format it before windows can use it. Creating the disk doesn't do that it just makes it look like one big disk.

Solution
Did you try using Disk Manager to partition and format the drive, and did it work?

You need to set up the "RAID Volume" in the BIOS so that the operating system can see a logical disk it can use and the "BIOS" (oversimplification) knows how to direct reads and writes to the physical drives in the RAID set. But you still need to partition and format the resulting RAID volume before the OS can use it, just as you'd need to partition and format any other new disk before it can be used.

Explo

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
yeah you guys are right. I right clicked the unallocated space and make a simple volume, followed the wizard, formatted, everything is in order. Thanks a lot for your help :D

TRENDING THREADS