Sign in with
Your question

Making a new gaming rig - rate and suggestions

Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2009 2:05:13 PM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming and hd movies
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS and my current PSU - Tagan 900w BZ-Series Modular
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ebuyer.com, overclockers.co.uk
PARTS PREFERENCES: intel cpu, rest is free reign really
OVERCLOCKING: Probably
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe in the future
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: want the pc as quiet as possible while gaming and especially while watching movies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, I've decided to upgrade and have been looking around review sites, benchmarks and the like and came up with the following specs:

Graphics Card: XFX GTX 295
Motherboard: Asus P6T Deluxe v2
CPU: Intel Core i7 920
RAM: Corsair Triple Channel Kit (3x2gb) 6gb DDR3 1600mhz
Case: Antec 1200 Case

I'm scavenging hard drives and the like from my old PC.

Any thoughts on the motherboard and etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys
June 2, 2009 3:55:52 PM

You left out the most important part.

Budget.
June 2, 2009 4:17:24 PM

if budget is a problem (which it doesnt look so from the parts) o/c E8500 and P45 mobo almost equal the i-7 config you have there for gaming, its overkill already for any game i can think of, except maybe crysis... crysis loves ram anyway... 8GB DDR2 would no nicely... plus thenu can add extra bells and whistles to other places
Related resources
June 2, 2009 4:25:54 PM

thaoval said:
if budget is a problem (which it doesnt look so from the parts) o/c E8500 and P45 mobo almost equal the i-7 config you have there for gaming, its overkill already for any game i can think of, except maybe crysis... crysis loves ram anyway... 8GB DDR2 would no nicely... plus thenu can add extra bells and whistles to other places

Ya if you just want to buy the most expensive parts possible it looks great, but it might not be a good value/$$ for what he needs to do, or he may not care.

What HDDs do you already have?
June 2, 2009 5:20:43 PM

I'm mainly not fussed about budget too much that's why i didn't put one, obviously I want to keep the price down but I also want to future proof myself for a while, I don't see the first gen dx11 gfx cards pulling much weight as there's always problems with new architecture.

As for current hdds, i got an old 300gb 7200 rpm maxtor and a shiny new 1.5tb 7200 rpm drive as well. I have a couple of 1tb externals on firewire (stanard eSata cables are too bulky to fit in the back of the damn things to connect -.- poor design is awesome...)

I'm considering going for a faster drive for OS install though I'm not sure which way to jump with that. SSD or just a faster raptor drive or something. Though my friend had a raptor and it just seemed noisier with very little difference in boot or load times, perhaps due to his ram speeds though?

Also the PSU I listed in the not required section like it said in the template :)  apologies for not reading that the first time btw :p  was a bit too eager to ask things!

What are your thoughts on triple channel ram the memory read bandwidth seems fantastic for game load times etc surely?

Thanks guys
June 2, 2009 5:22:24 PM

Raptors are a waste of money. Just make sure you've got 32mb cache and you'll be good to go as far as HDDs are concerned.
June 2, 2009 5:28:39 PM

Yup, it's definately a 32mb cache on my 1.5tb
Seagate 1.5TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache
!