RG59 cable

Last response: in Home Theatre
August 22, 2005 3:00:43 AM

Can I make RG59 prewire work with dish network? Besides
running allnew RG6 prewire is there another solution? THANX

More about : rg59 cable

Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:32:30 PM

Short answer is - no...

RG-59 is fine for carrying signals from broadcast antennas, like
over-the-air television and FM radio.

RG-6 is required for cable TV and satellite because it operates at a higher
frequency range than broadcast signals. It has nothing to do with the
shielding, because RG-59 is shielded, too. The difference is the larger
center conductor coupled with a thicker dielectric (the white plastic
insulator around the center conductor), which gives increased distance
between the shield and the center conductor compared to RG-59.

As a note, RG-6 will also work fine for broadcast, but RG-59 does not work
well with cable and satellite.

"Kim Lopes" <kimyou4@netscape.net> wrote in message
> Can I make RG59 prewire work with dish network? Besides
> running allnew RG6 prewire is there another solution? THANX
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 4:49:57 PM

Kim Lopes wrote:
> Can I make RG59 prewire work with dish network? Besides
> running allnew RG6 prewire is there another solution? THANX

It can work, but reception could wind up being rather substandard.
The longer the cable, the worse it will get, just like RG6 does.
But the shielding of the 59 is inferior.
August 28, 2005 8:00:41 AM

RG59 will no longer carry all the signals for all the channels with
satellite.The LNBs will overload the conductor, and you'll wind up with
"side outs" 5 years ago a good quality RG59 would suffice, but not any more.
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:57:55 AM

"Billy Ryman" <b1sdf@amico.net> wrote in message
> RG59 will no longer carry all the signals for all the channels with
> satellite.The LNBs will overload the conductor, and you'll wind up with
> "side outs" 5 years ago a good quality RG59 would suffice, but not any
> more.
/
/
/
/
I have RG59 going to 3 of the 4 Tuners, since prior to Directv I had Comcast
Cable. The RG59 works fine; as far as I know, I get a crystal clear
picture on every channel. I don't know what side outs are. Is this a
disaster waiting to happen?

!