How to install a frys fr-54 rtr G router????

G

I've looked at the Fry's site and I couldn't find a Fry's Router -- the only similar sounding model is Linksys.

If ADSL you need to look at your provider's website for tips on setting up common routers to work with their system.

If cable you need to connect the router to the modem and turn off the modem for at least 30 seconds and restart both.

You may want to re-post with more detail.

bdobyns

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
I just bought one of these today (cheapest one on the shelf today at fry's) and got it installed in less time than I've spent typing this message.

The manual is on the disk that came with it. Open up the disk and read the pdf manual. Or read the manual online from here: ftp://www.frysnetworksupport.com/FR54RTR/Manuals/FR54RTR_Manual_10.pdf

The short summary is
* connect to the "LAN" ports, one of the 1,2,3,4 numbered ones with your pc or mac, and let your computer dhcp to the router.
* use a browser to connect to 192.168.0.1 and login to the router
* use the wizards (two of them, one for the wan and one for the wireless) to configure.

It's acceptable for $20. It didn't have the promised ethernet cable inside the box, but it will cost me more in gas to go back to fry's and complain about the missing wire than a cable is worth.

Finally, the fry's support page is here:
http://www.frysnetworksupport.com/Product/View.aspx?ProdID=5

PeteG_53

Distinguished
May 15, 2010
I got a FR-54 RTR yesterday at Fry's for $11.99. Guess what? It did not have a CAT 5 cable either. I was going to use it for a wireless hotspot only. It configured fine but I cannot for the life get it to work w/ Win 7. It works fine with my Win XP computers. I have an old Linksys router set the same way and it works fine. Anybody got any ideas. The wirelss connection to Win 7 is the only part that does not work. It's a 64 Bit Win 7
BTW.

tonychap1

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Dont feel alone- I bought one 2 days ago- have it all set up which I think is the right way according to setup guide and then unplug the cable on back of pc and then bam! no internet. Ready to take back.

G

I also bought one for $11 bux. Works like a champ! I'm connecting wired and wirelessly with the thing using a 32 bit Vista box and a 64 bit Win7 box. NO PROBLEMS AT ALL. Everything works as advertised. I have it configured as a simple wireless access point, which is connected to a wired router. Since I only want the coverage area to include my personal office, I have it sitting on the floor, and I've reduced transmit power to "medium". Oh, my Blackberry Bold connects to it as well. For 11 bux, you can't beat it, it was the cheapest thing on the shelf and it does everything I want. Admin tools are quite comprehensive, I was surprised at all the settings and options.

G

NOTICE: Telling you now to show respect that the following is a rant on Fry's Electronics.

You know what, I bought one of these Fry's routers and it is not even worth the plain bones box they put it in. An absolute total pile of crap. The way this thing runs, an old US Robotics 14,4 modem would smoke it. this thing barely can handle email. I FEEL LIKE I AM RUNNING AT 300 BAUD, GET IT? ITS A PIECE OF JUNK.

I am taking this straight back in the morning and putting the crap on their lap. I'd be better off with a tin can and a wire. I cant believe they sell such absolute junk with their name on it, but then again Fry's are total money whores and dont give a hoot about your satisfaction. I know two people that have worked there. completely separate without knowing each other and they say the same thing about frys GP GP GP its all about the gross profit. They are told to sell what makes the company the most money, not what's good. They are just a profiteering ploy. about 2% of the salespeople in there are knowledgeable and they never last. longest I have seen an employee last at frys was not quite two years

A company starts off with a great concept and soon becomes corrupt when certain individuals think they are doing better for the company by making it greater profit without thinking about the customer. Look at how many items are repacks at frys!. I't because most of the cheaper items there are total junk. Some, don't even work at all and I see them repacked and put on the shelf. Items I returned and am certain do not function (unless the computer repair guy who just runs recovery disks suddenly woke up one day as a multilayer computer board repair liason.) They dont even know how to replace on board fuses.

The whole company has become a total disgrace. anyone that works there with half a brain realizes they have to get out of there once they know the profit or dropdead sellng ploys. I wont even get into their warranty scams where they promise the world and give you nothing but payments.

I would much raather see a company like Best Buy advance forward into this area and flush Frys down the toilet for good because they really do genuinely suck.

Face it. The only people that like Frys are brand new employees and brand new computer users. The rest of us know its a bunch of bs. Its like when people who had AOL 3.0 went on the internet. They actually thought they were on the internet. Yeah they were, through the inside bubble of the AOL servers. Nothing worse than seeing people hedged that dont even know it. Stay away from Frys is the best thing all of us can do. They are cursed to be no good if you ask me. Look for example at AOL, a cursed outfit. Owned by Time-Warner, and they don't even want to have any word out that they have anything to do with AOL

To me, the best fact of life I can see for Frys is, "All things must pass." and the sooner they pass and some store with integrity replaces them that is concerned for their cusomers satisfaction, the better.

Who is there that HASN'T had some sort of problem at Fry's? Sorry for the rant folks, it's just that there is only so much space here on earth and it really pisses me off to see our limited area occupied by something so unworthy to be what they are today.

Anything that is half decent that is not B stock or over run productions at frys is not any bargain at all, is way overpriced and never on sale. eg. shop for a top of the line video card at frys? you cant. they dont have the very latest all their best stuff is over 9 months out of the loop, but they make it look like its the latest thing and its not, they alredy have a newer model out that is better, as the salesperson is telling you this is the best there is, discounted by 15 dollars because it was returned, so its B, B stock. When frys gets a lot of their stuff, they come in new boxes but take a good look at the equipment and the repacking. SOmeone already was messing with it plugged into God knows what. So they mess with it and do God knows what to it, and they return it cause they can't get it to work either. Now this salesperson is telling you it's ok when it's not ok because they just want the sale. They dont want the customer, that's the last thing they need. They just want the sale and that's it.