Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

PC Help (Computer Techs Look!) Several problems (Gamer)

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Computer
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
June 2, 2009 2:43:40 PM

I recently just built a new computer around a two months ago. I have experienced numerous problems ever since the computer was built and I just want to try and straighten things out.

First off let me name all of my computer specs.

Amazon.com Deal 3 frequently bought together.
CPU, MBO, Memory

http://www.amazon.com/Rampage-II-Extreme-DDR3-1600-Moth...

ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA1366 Intel X58 DDR3-1600 ATX Motherboard
Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 Memory Kit
Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz 8M L3 Cache 4.8GT/sec QPI Hyper-Threading Turbo Boost LGA1366 Processor

Graphics cards:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...
2x BFG GeForce GTX 280 Video Card - 1GB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV, HDMI Support, VGA Support

Monitor: Samsung 2493HM 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor - 10000:1 (DC), 5ms, 1920 x 1200, DVI, HDMI

Power Supply: Zalman Tech Co., Ltd

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ZALMAN ZM1000-HP 1000W Continuous @ 45°C (Maximum Continuous Peak: 1250W) ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Modular Heatpipe-Cooled SLI Power Supply - Retail

HD:
2x Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive (bare drive) - OEM

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, those are all my computer specs. I am currently running on Windows 7 RC, as I was previously running on W Vista and hated it.

My computer does not seem to run very fast at all. It boots up slow, well it did in Windows Vista, 7 seems a bit faster to be honest.

I play three games:

Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and WoW, occasionally counterstrike.

My problems.

Slow speeds while on the computer. Graphical problems, such as alt tabbing into WoW and the game tears up going 1 frame every 5 seconds with weird looking graphics (I have to alt tab out of game and back in and it seems fine). I run WoW at the max settings for everything (I should be able too...). I have noticed significant lag while playing the game, such as in Dalaran, or just anywhere when I take my mouse and just spin its not smooth if you know what I mean. I have the latest drivers for my graphics cards. I have my Nvidia settings set to enable SLI, and Physx.

I am just wondering if there any problems with my PC. I am not very good with computers yet, I am slowly learning hopefully I will be a geek soon and I can understand a computer entirely etc.

Being a gamer and being on the computer a lot I like to have a very fast and powerful system. I feel like I am at low speeds and its just not fun.

Now I believe in the BIOS everything is set to automatic, so my computer is definately running slow to begin with but I don't think it should be this slow should it? I mean I can tell its running slow if you know what I mean, but its not as slow as I might be describing it.

I have also had a few crashes, which I am not sure if its normal or bad, I have had a recent blue screen (dump memory rebooted etc while I was on the internet watching a movie).

Questions:

Are there any software programs I can run to pinpoint possible problems?

Are there any good benchmarking programs to see if my computer is running up to speeds it should?

Overclocking: I am interested in overclocking my pc to make it run faster. Are there any good forums etc? I cannot do this myself... I need assistance!

Also, when I think about my computer specs, is that processor a bit low? 2.6 ghz just seems low to me. Also when I go into my G 15 LCD monitor and look into my Computer Performance its usually always at this:

CPU: 0-5%
Ram: While doing nothing 44-50% normally
Ram: While playing a game above 60%++

Not sure if that's normal or not...

Could my processor be malfunctioning, maybe factory built it and its got glitches running slow? Maybe my memory isn't working properly?

Thanks for reading, I know I wrote everything that was on my mind or tried too, I probably missed stuff but i'll post more. Please reply with any info you might have. I am trying to get this computer straightened out. I also didn't build it myself. I have a guy that lives near me that's friends with my parents that knows a lot about computers and has built tons in the past. He helped me choose parts and put it together.

Also, I am using the heatsink that came with my processor, as the heatsink we bought didn't fit for some reason.
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

So any support on buying a new heat sink for my PC would also be a great help as well! I am looking to overclock in the future and I would also appreciate assistance in regards to pc upgrades etc to help better my computer.

Any tips are also welcome! Thanks!

More about : computer techs problems gamer

June 2, 2009 3:47:55 PM

You should never assume your bios correctly identifies and sets up your components correctly. You'll most likely need to change your memory timings and clock speed manually for them to be correct. Make sure you have the latest drivers installed, that can make a huge difference especially when using multiple GPUs. 2.6GHz is a bit low but WoW could run with a hamster wheel on max settings; you've got a beefy system that's just not set up right. Those are the easyfix answers. Let us know if its still not working with everything setup properly in the BIOS and the newest drivers installed.

If you're interested in OCing, you need to do 6 things.

1) Figure out what you've got wrong with your current setup. The fewer possible causes the better.

2) Read the sticky in the OC section that pertains to your CPU (AMD multiplier, Intel FSB)

3) Reread the sticky in the OC section that pertains to your CPU

4) Search the internet for people who have OCed the same CPU, see what they did, what they're problems were so you don't do it.

5) Make sure you understand what you're doing before you do it.

6) Buy a heatsink that fits.
June 2, 2009 3:56:56 PM

This bracket will allow you to use your cooler with your CPU:

XIGMATEK ACK-I7361 CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $9.99

Your problems could be any number of things. The first thing you should do is manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS. Your RAM is rated at DDR3 1600 at 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.65V. You should then download and run memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors (www.memtest.org).

Your CPU could also be overheating and throttling. Do you know what your idle and load CPU temps are? Speedfan and Realtemp should both work for showing your temps. CPU-Z is also a helpful tool. It will show you if everything is running at the correct speed.
Related resources
June 2, 2009 3:58:18 PM

Ok, thing is I don't know much about computers and I don't know how to set it up properly. I know a computer tech that lives two hours away from me but hes kind of an iffy person if you catch my drift. He explained the same thing to me, he told me its not setup properly (voltages, timing, etc). I don't want to mess with any of that stuff myself because I don't want to break it.

And overclocking breaks most warranties so unless I am 100% sure im doing everything correct I don't want to touch anything yet.

The Rampage II is a very nice Motherboard, its probably one of the top end best motherboards out there according to most benchmarks etc.

So what should I go about doing to setup my computer properly?
June 2, 2009 4:02:44 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
This bracket will allow you to use your cooler with your CPU:

XIGMATEK ACK-I7361 CPU Cooler - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $9.99

Your problems could be any number of things. The first thing you should do is manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturers specs in the BIOS. Your RAM is rated at DDR3 1600 at 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.65V. You should then download and run memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors (www.memtest.org).

Your CPU could also be overheating and throttling. Do you know what your idle and load CPU temps are? Speedfan and Realtemp should both work for showing your temps. CPU-Z is also a helpful tool. It will show you if everything is running at the correct speed.

I will look into all you said. That bracket thing sounds like a good idea i'll tell my friend about that and see what he thinks!

Now, I was on the phone with Corsair and I was talking to them about timings a while back and they told me certain numbers and I think only one number in the settings was different, I cant remember exactly what. The rampage II bios is very big, there's tons of settings for those who arn't familiar.

There is also an entire "tweaker" section that allows you to change so much this is basically an overclocking board. I wonder if I can find anyone with a similar computer setup or someone that knows a lot about the parts im using that knows most of the correct numbers to verify with.
June 2, 2009 4:35:40 PM

Read the motherboard manual. It's very easy to change the memory settings, and you need to do it for everything to run smoothly.
June 3, 2009 1:31:51 AM

Where in the manual does it give me the information to change the specific things in the bios to the proper settings?
June 3, 2009 2:28:14 PM

mugaro said:
Where in the manual does it give me the information to change the specific things in the bios to the proper settings?

In my manual its Chapter 2, called BIOS settings...have you opened it yet?

shortstuff already told you your ram is rated

Quote:
Your RAM is rated at DDR3 1600 at 8-8-8-24 timings at 1.65V

If you can't be bothered to read through your manual and figure out how to set the timings, not to mention all the other BIOS tweaks you should do, you probably shouldn't be building your own computer.
June 4, 2009 3:44:46 AM

I didn't build it myself I had help from a guy that knows a lot about building computers. He doesn't know anything about overclocking etc so he said it was good to leave the settings as automatic or default whatever the preset is. I will look into the bios tomorrow when I have time and report any findings/questions I have.
June 11, 2009 3:57:53 AM

Ok. I downloaded a few software programs. One thing I haven't got yet is the memtest from www.memtest.org

Which one should I download?

The top of the page
** Memtest86+ V2.11 (22/12/2008) **

* Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)?
June 12, 2009 12:55:33 AM

When I download the .exe version. It tells me that it is not compatible with the version of windows I am running. (Windows 7 RC). So are there any other ways?
June 12, 2009 12:57:42 AM

wow doesn't support CF/SLI
June 12, 2009 1:16:24 PM

Any way to make it?

Also I turned on crysis warhead and put every setting on as high as it could go. After like 5 min of some laggy gameplay and movies (in game) I kind of got to a black screen that wouldn't load haha. Is this computer not good enough to handle every setting on max for crysis warhead?
June 17, 2009 4:45:49 PM

Is this all normal?
June 17, 2009 6:19:04 PM

If I were you I'd just bite the bullet and throw vista/XP on just to test to see if its a win7 problem.