Sign in with
Your question

CPU cooler which won't be obstructed by Corsair Vengeance RAM?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 23, 2011 10:44:09 PM

Those who are unfamiliar with the Corsair Vengeance RAM, the heat sinks on them are quite large and intrusive,
making it a pain when choosing an after-market CPU cooler :fou:  , and it doesn't help that i have all 4 DIMM slot's filled
with them :pfff:  . To those who have over come this similar issue, or anyone with advice for that matter, could you recommend a
CPU cooler which won't be obstructed by the Vengeance modules :??:  . My socket type is 1155/1156 and i have the NZXT Phantom case.

P.S I would prefer air cooling options. Thanks in advance! :D 
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
April 23, 2011 11:05:26 PM

Well you kinda hooped yourself with the ram selection.
Seeing as you'll probably want to keep the side fans too right!
Which further limits suitable coolers.
If you lose the side fans the Prolimatech Armageddon or Thermalright Archon are the only forgiving air-coolers i know of..
List your mobo and cpu please.
April 23, 2011 11:21:56 PM

davcon said:
Well you kinda hooped yourself with the ram selection.
Seeing as you'll probably want to keep the side fans too right!
Which further limits suitable coolers.
If you lose the side fans the Prolimatech Armageddon or Thermalright Archon are the only forgiving air-coolers i know of..
List your mobo and cpu please.

I know :(  i fell for the "high-performance potential" (I'm a sucker for advertising :lol:  )

Mobo: Asus P8P67 Deluxe
CPU: intel i7 2600k

Luckily i don't have the optional 200mm side mounted fan, which is exactly where the CPU cooler will be protruding towards.
Those two coolers you mentioned, are they top quality, reliable etc? (I should really google this, i know :sarcastic:  :lol:  )
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2011 2:42:45 AM

A personal favorite of mine is the MUX-120...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lga-1156-heatsink,2...
I have yet to see a thing that it won't clear. Don't quote me on that, though... you'd better check everything first if you're interested in it. I personally have the Black edition of it (same thing nickeled in black basically) because nothing else available would fit on my AM3 socket with 4 filled DIMMs. Take a look at how close together most AM3 sockets and RAM slots are, and you'll see what I mean... ;) 

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Like I said, though, be sure to do a little research if you're interested in it.
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
April 24, 2011 3:00:23 AM

To answer your question yes both heatsinks are good.
The Archon is considered one of the best air-coolers on the market period.
The Armageddon is a good cooler too both fit 140mm fans.
The Archon is supplied with the TY-140 the best 140mm fan available imo.
The Armageddon is not supplied with a fan you have to choose one.
http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data...
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=15...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...
Your safest bet is probably the Archon keep in mind it's not cheap $80 and very tall 170mm.
The Armageddon can be found for $50 alot add $20+ for a good fan it's 161mm tall.
The Prolimatech Megahalems is much better then the Armageddon but i'm not sure on the fit with your ram.
Easiest way to figure it out is to measure from the middle of your socket to the first dimm.
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu...
Btw someguynamedmatt is right about the MUX-120 i also have that cooler on my main rig a P55 1156 board with Corsair Dominators(52mm)all 4 dimms filled.
The Vengeance and Dominators are the same height.
I like my MUX-120 keeps my slightly oc'd i7 860 at about 32C on idle.
TR fans are dead quiet btw the one that come with the MUX-120 is about 20db at full speed(no BS).
MUX-120 is about $45.The Black Edition Matt refers to is for AMD and cost more.
April 24, 2011 3:51:00 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
A personal favorite of mine is the MUX-120...
I have yet to see a thing that it won't clear. Don't quote me on that, though... you'd better check everything first if you're interested in it. I personally have the Black edition of it (same thing nickeled in black basically) because nothing else available would fit on my AM3 socket with 4 filled DIMMs. Take a look at how close together most AM3 sockets and RAM slots are, and you'll see what I mean... ;) 

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Like I said, though, be sure to do a little research if you're interested in it.

Thanks for the advice and provided info, i appreciate that :D  . Funny you mentioned the MUX-120 because
i was looking into that CPU cooler and came across some guy in another forum complaining that it doesn't sit
flush with the CPU, and it can be swiveled slightly once its installed :sweat:  . Is this true? or does this guy
have no idea how to install CPU coolers :lol: 
April 24, 2011 4:01:27 PM

davcon said:
To answer your question yes both heatsinks are good.
The Archon is considered one of the best air-coolers on the market period.
The Armageddon is a good cooler too both fit 140mm fans.
The Archon is supplied with the TY-140 the best 140mm fan available imo.
The Armageddon is not supplied with a fan you have to choose one.
http://www.thermalright.com/products/index.php?act=data...
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=15...
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/therma...
Your safest bet is probably the Archon keep in mind it's not cheap $80 and very tall 170mm.
The Armageddon can be found for $50 alot add $20+ for a good fan it's 161mm tall.
The Prolimatech Megahalems is much better then the Armageddon but i'm not sure on the fit with your ram.
Easiest way to figure it out is to measure from the middle of your socket to the first dimm.
http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_page/product_page/cpu...
Btw someguynamedmatt is right about the MUX-120 i also have that cooler on my main rig a P55 1156 board with Corsair Dominators(52mm)all 4 dimms filled.
The Vengeance and Dominators are the same height.
I like my MUX-120 keeps my slightly oc'd i7 860 at about 32C on idle.
TR fans are dead quiet btw the one that come with the MUX-120 is about 20db at full speed(no BS).
MUX-120 is about $45.The Black Edition Matt refers to is for AMD and cost more.

Wow thank you for that thorough reply, i really appreciate it :)  . It seems i'll get the most bang for my buck with the MUX-120 as it's
the cheapest out of the 4 you've recommended, and provides quality cooling according to you and someguynamedmatt :D  .
BTW have you had any problems installing the MUX-120? I ask because i came across a guy on another forum complaining that
it was slightly loose once installed :??: 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2011 7:28:28 PM

corleone11 said:
Thanks for the advice and provided info, i appreciate that :D  . Funny you mentioned the MUX-120 because
i was looking into that CPU cooler and came across some guy in another forum complaining that it doesn't sit
flush with the CPU, and it can be swiveled slightly once its installed :sweat:  . Is this true? or does this guy
have no idea how to install CPU coolers :lol: 

Probably a little bit of both. I can understand what he means by "it swivels", because with the way its meant to be mounted, you can twist it on the CPU if you try hard enough. But you'd really have to actually try in order to move it... as long as you don't shove it around, you'll be fine. Mine sits perfectly flat on my CPU. Honestly, the black edition of that cooler isn't worth the money - it's, as Davon said, intended for use with an AMD platform. The only differences are that it includes an AM3 mounting kit and is nickeled black... I had to go that way in order to get the proper mounting hardware.

The only thing I can say is that it really isn't meant for extreme overclocking. It can handle a moderate OC just fine, but it starts to fall behind compared to the larger coolers that Davcon listed just because of its smaller fin area. Of course, if you wanted better performance, you could put an aftermarket fan on it that would move more air, but then you'd be sacrificing how quiet the stock fans already are. That being said, though, it's still better than the typical CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, and with said replacement fan, gets really close to the leading Noctua NH-D14. It's really just an all-around good cooler for most people.

Basically, if you want performance, go with the Archon. If you want a good all-around cooler that doesn't quite match the Archon but is quieter and more compact, then I'd go with the MUX-120.
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
April 24, 2011 8:02:30 PM

I had no issues with mounting my MUX-120 and it should cool a SB cpu no problem since 1st gens like mine actually run hotter.
Just apply the right amount of tension when screwing it down.
You can count your turns and switch back and forth as you do it for equal presssure.
After you feel you're done eye it up.You can see right away if one tension screw is tighter then the other.
It's actually easy to install.
Oh and the supplied tube of Chillfactor 2 paste is very good.
I wouldn't even bother with an aftermarket paste.
I agree with someguynamedmatt i wouldn't try for any oc records.
And as i mentioned she fits all 4 Corsairs.Bought another X-Silent fan for mine.
Dirt cheap up here in Canada where i shop under $8.
It's a good solution for your needs.

April 25, 2011 4:07:53 PM

someguynamedmatt said:
Probably a little bit of both. I can understand what he means by "it swivels", because with the way its meant to be mounted, you can twist it on the CPU if you try hard enough. But you'd really have to actually try in order to move it... as long as you don't shove it around, you'll be fine. Mine sits perfectly flat on my CPU. Honestly, the black edition of that cooler isn't worth the money - it's, as Davon said, intended for use with an AMD platform. The only differences are that it includes an AM3 mounting kit and is nickeled black... I had to go that way in order to get the proper mounting hardware.

The only thing I can say is that it really isn't meant for extreme overclocking. It can handle a moderate OC just fine, but it starts to fall behind compared to the larger coolers that Davcon listed just because of its smaller fin area. Of course, if you wanted better performance, you could put an aftermarket fan on it that would move more air, but then you'd be sacrificing how quiet the stock fans already are. That being said, though, it's still better than the typical CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, and with said replacement fan, gets really close to the leading Noctua NH-D14. It's really just an all-around good cooler for most people.

Basically, if you want performance, go with the Archon. If you want a good all-around cooler that doesn't quite match the Archon but is quieter and more compact, then I'd go with the MUX-120.

Yeah i thought as much. I gathered that you wouldn't intentionally try to swivel it around, and once its securely installed it should be fine. Extreme overclocking isn't my thing :non:  I wasn't even going to overclock at all, but whilst building my first rig, i thought it would be good to experience the occasional, moderate overclock just to see part of my CPU's full potential, as i've never had the chance before. Seeing as it's better in comparison to the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+, which is somewhat highly rated, it seems like a no brainer. I guess i can save a few extra £'s and skip the black edition. Can't thank you enough for all your help! :D 
April 25, 2011 5:09:27 PM

davcon said:
I had no issues with mounting my MUX-120 and it should cool a SB cpu no problem since 1st gens like mine actually run hotter.
Just apply the right amount of tension when screwing it down.
You can count your turns and switch back and forth as you do it for equal presssure.
After you feel you're done eye it up.You can see right away if one tension screw is tighter then the other.
It's actually easy to install.
Oh and the supplied tube of Chillfactor 2 paste is very good.
I wouldn't even bother with an aftermarket paste.
I agree with someguynamedmatt i wouldn't try for any oc records.
And as i mentioned she fits all 4 Corsairs.Bought another X-Silent fan for mine.
Dirt cheap up here in Canada where i shop under $8.
It's a good solution for your needs.

I actually forgot to take into consideration that the 2nd gen CPU's run cooler, good call! ;) 
That's actually a good idea when mounting, thanks!
So no need for the arctic silver then ;)  save myself some extra £'s :D  .
Yeah no extreme overclocking for me anyways, i consider myself at the pinnacle of "Novice" when it comes to overclocking,
just the minor OC on the odd occasion to test my CPU's potential, as i've never had the chance to experience OC'ing
The cheapest i can find those X-Silent fan's here in the UK is £14.80 inc. shipping :(  . Not too bad i suppose, considering they are Thermalright fan's.
Might get a couple and use one for intake on my NZXT Phantom case.
So, it looks like i'll be getting the MUX-120 then.

Thanks again for all your help and kind suggestions, its greatly appreciated.
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
April 25, 2011 9:47:47 PM

corleone11 said:
I actually forgot to take into consideration that the 2nd gen CPU's run cooler, good call! ;) 
That's actually a good idea when mounting, thanks!
So no need for the arctic silver then ;)  save myself some extra £'s :D  .
Yeah no extreme overclocking for me anyways, i consider myself at the pinnacle of "Novice" when it comes to overclocking,
just the minor OC on the odd occasion to test my CPU's potential, as i've never had the chance to experience OC'ing
The cheapest i can find those X-Silent fan's here in the UK is £14.80 inc. shipping :(  . Not too bad i suppose, considering they are Thermalright fan's.
Might get a couple and use one for intake on my NZXT Phantom case.
So, it looks like i'll be getting the MUX-120 then.

Thanks again for all your help and kind suggestions, its greatly appreciated.

Scan stocks the biggest selection of Thermalright products in the U.K. 3 pages worth and cheap.
http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=thermalright
They don't have the regular MUX-120 but the Black is the same
Thermalright MUX-120 Black Tower - £35.96 Inc VAT
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermalright-mux-120-bla...
X-Silent120 -£5.39 Inc VAT
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-thermalright-liqui...
I wouldn't use an X-Silent for an intake fan though the FBD's would be better either the 1600 or 1300 depending what you prefer noise wise(both are under 30db)
:) 
April 25, 2011 10:08:16 PM

davcon said:
Scan stocks the biggest selection of Thermalright products in the U.K. 3 pages worth and cheap.
http://www.scan.co.uk/search.aspx?q=thermalright
They don't have the regular MUX-120 but the Black is the same
Thermalright MUX-120 Black Tower - £35.96 Inc VAT
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/thermalright-mux-120-bla...
X-Silent120 -£5.39 Inc VAT
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-thermalright-liqui...
I wouldn't use an X-Silent for an intake fan though the FBD's would be better either the 1600 or 1300 depending what you prefer noise wise(both are under 30db)
:) 

It's people like you why i love this forum :D  I'm running out of ways to say thank you! :sweat:  :lol: 
Seriously, i appreciate the help, you just saved me a few my £'s :bounce:  (you wanna be my accountant :lol:  )
They appear to have excellent customer reviews and competitive prices. I've bookmarked Scan. Thanks again!
April 26, 2011 6:02:42 AM

Perhaps the whole idea of excessively large heat sink cooling fins on ram are window dressing after a point and are there for marketing purposes and to look hip and "cool" not just for cooling. Why don't you just cut some of the excessively long fins off with some metal snips? Just enough to clear the cpu cooling fins. Betcha won't be able to tell the difference in the ram cooling temps even with a quarter inch of ram cooling fins gone. There are even ram sticks out there with NO fancy shaped and painted cooling fins.
April 26, 2011 6:45:33 PM

garyhope said:
Perhaps the whole idea of excessively large heat sink cooling fins on ram are window dressing after a point and are there for marketing purposes and to look hip and "cool" not just for cooling. Why don't you just cut some of the excessively long fins off with some metal snips? Just enough to clear the cpu cooling fins. Betcha won't be able to tell the difference in the ram cooling temps even with a quarter inch of ram cooling fins gone. There are even ram sticks out there with NO fancy shaped and painted cooling fins.

This reminds me of a time where i kept going for the wrong women; "looks over substance" [:bohleyk:7] :lol: 
Yeah i fell for its "good looks", but i did choose a quality brand though (Corsair), so i didn't do too bad :kaola: 
Thats true, like for example, Crucial do some of the "ugliest" modules, very plain looking. I guess i've learned
my lesson!
Is that safe :??:  knowing my luck i'd probably damage the RAM, don't think i'm willing to take
the risk as these modules are quite expensive. (not an excuse to keep its pretty looks :lol:  )

Thank you for your suggestions.
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 8:42:36 AM

Prolimatech Armageddon ftw!....I have the same ram but my Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink will work with all 4 slot installed...

$39.99 at Tigerdirect.com! Get it while it last...It's a very good heatsink...I have it and my temps are 50c-55c on avg running prime 95 at 4.2ghz at 1.2volts..
April 28, 2011 10:12:49 PM

Bigmac80 said:
Prolimatech Armageddon ftw!....I have the same ram but my Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink will work with all 4 slot installed...

$39.99 at Tigerdirect.com! Get it while it last...It's a very good heatsink...I have it and my temps are 50c-55c on avg running prime 95 at 4.2ghz at 1.2volts..

That sounds great! :D  But the only thing putting me off the Armageddon is that it doesn't come with any fans :( 
a b K Overclocking
April 28, 2011 10:31:22 PM

corleone11 said:
That sounds great! :D  But the only thing putting me off the Armageddon is that it doesn't come with any fans :( 

true but most of the time people end up changing the fans on the heatsinks anyways unless it's a Noctua heatsink...
April 28, 2011 10:40:07 PM

Bigmac80 said:
true but most of the time people end up changing the fans on the heatsinks anyways unless it's a Noctua heatsink...

That's true also. But just the thought of having to spend more money for it to do what i bought it to do is a little disheartening. I think i'm gonna go
with the MUX-120 as it comes with a fan, is fairly cheaper, and seems to be a good quality cooler.
April 29, 2011 5:49:04 AM

corleone11 said:
That's true also. But just the thought of having to spend more money for it to do what i bought it to do is a little disheartening. I think i'm gonna go
with the MUX-120 as it comes with a fan, is fairly cheaper, and seems to be a good quality cooler.

Quote:
Corleone
You may be jumping to an incorrect conclusion about the choice of cooler for your configuration. I have the Corsair Vengeance memory and have looked carefully at the various option available to me. On a P67 motherboard the distance between the CPU and the memory slots may be less than on a P55 or P58 so Davcon's experience may not apply to your P67 board. . Nevertheless, the height of my Vengeance modules above the motherboard surface is over 50 mm. This means that any heat sink fan combo will have to clear two inches (about 50 mm) above the motherboard surface if it covers the memory slots. I don't think either the Archon or the MUX 120 does this.
Alternatively, the heat sink/fan combo must fit within the space between the first memory slot and the rear of the case. From the center line of the CPU to the first slot represents half the width of the heat sink + the thickness of the fan. The Armageddon which is 50 mm wide fits with a 25 mm fan. ( see Bigmac80) . Therefore the distance from the center of the heat sink to the first slot is half of 50 mm (25mm )+ 25mm for the fan thickness. A total of 50 mm. The CM HY 212 has been reported not to fit with a 25 mm fan and it is only 51mm wide ! The Archon is 53 mm wide and takes a 26.5 mm fan. I don't seer how that could fit. The MUX is even wider but takes a 25mm fan The only way These two could fit is if the fan were lifted up on the heat sink and made to clear the vengeance memory.
I would check your dimensions before committing to a particular cooler . Better yet find someone with your motherboard and Vengeance memory in slot 1. Incidentally , Bigmac80 has a P67 motherboard and the vengeance memory though not your board.
April 29, 2011 6:03:19 PM

Hank119 said:
Quote:
Corleone
You may be jumping to an incorrect conclusion about the choice of cooler for your configuration. I have the Corsair Vengeance memory and have looked carefully at the various option available to me. On a P67 motherboard the distance between the CPU and the memory slots may be less than on a P55 or P58 so Davcon's experience may not apply to your P67 board. . Nevertheless, the height of my Vengeance modules above the motherboard surface is over 50 mm. This means that any heat sink fan combo will have to clear two inches (about 50 mm) above the motherboard surface if it covers the memory slots. I don't think either the Archon or the MUX 120 does this.
Alternatively, the heat sink/fan combo must fit within the space between the first memory slot and the rear of the case. From the center line of the CPU to the first slot represents half the width of the heat sink + the thickness of the fan. The Armageddon which is 50 mm wide fits with a 25 mm fan. ( see Bigmac80) . Therefore the distance from the center of the heat sink to the first slot is half of 50 mm (25mm )+ 25mm for the fan thickness. A total of 50 mm. The CM HY 212 has been reported not to fit with a 25 mm fan and it is only 51mm wide ! The Archon is 53 mm wide and takes a 26.5 mm fan. I don't seer how that could fit. The MUX is even wider but takes a 25mm fan The only way These two could fit is if the fan were lifted up on the heat sink and made to clear the vengeance memory.
I would check your dimensions before committing to a particular cooler . Better yet find someone with your motherboard and Vengeance memory in slot 1. Incidentally , Bigmac80 has a P67 motherboard and the vengeance memory though not your board.

You saved me from a potential embarrassing, predicament there :sweat:  . I hang my head in shame for not taking all this into consideration :heink:  . Thank you! I don't really want to have to raise the fan on the heat sink as im sure this may hinder its cooling capabilities. Your right, i think the only definitive way to avail this dilemma is to start a new thread and find someone who has my exact setup or, like you said, take some measurements. Probably should've done that in the first place :whistle: 

Thanks for your detailed input, i really appreciate it.
a b K Overclocking
April 29, 2011 8:22:27 PM

corleone11 said:
Your a saint! Thanks for that :D  . If you don't mind me asking, what board do you have?
BTW nice looking case ;) 

Thanks!

specs:

i5 2500k
MSI P67A GD65
Corsair Vengenace 4gigs
Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink
2 Gelid 140mm 80 cfm fans
Corsair 850 hx power supply
Lian-li 7fnw mid tower case
Samsung f3 1tb
GTX 295

That picture is when i 1st built it...i added a 2nd Gelid 140mm fan and changed the graphics card and added a front fan module for more intake..
April 29, 2011 8:33:23 PM

I purchased the P8P67 Pro mobo and a Hyper 212 plus cooler, and some G.Skill Ripsaw X ram, and was concerned as well.

About the time when my stuff came in, I found out my wife's CPU is really quite hot, so I decided I would donate the 212 to her's.

First, I mocked up mine to check for clearance. While it seems pretty close, I don't think the fan actually is so far out that it gets over the memory modules. Also, at least on mine, the height of the fan does clear my memory.

So, I think the CM Hyper 212 Plus will clear. BTW, it dropped my wife's i5 750 by about 20*C at idle and under load, and she says the area is much cooler.
April 29, 2011 9:15:34 PM

Bigmac80 said:
Thanks!

specs:

i5 2500k
MSI P67A GD65
Corsair Vengenace 4gigs
Prolimatech Armageddon heatsink
2 Gelid 140mm 80 cfm fans
Corsair 850 hx power supply
Lian-li 7fnw mid tower case
Samsung f3 1tb
GTX 295

That picture is when i 1st built it...i added a 2nd Gelid 140mm fan and changed the graphics card and added a front fan module for more intake..

Thats a sweet setup[:bohleyk:1]. Thanks for providing the info!

One more question, as i may go with the Armageddon; With your push/pull setup, do you have air pulling from the front of the case and pushing towards the rear, or vice versa?
April 29, 2011 9:42:09 PM

Karch_32 said:
I purchased the P8P67 Pro mobo and a Hyper 212 plus cooler, and some G.Skill Ripsaw X ram, and was concerned as well.

About the time when my stuff came in, I found out my wife's CPU is really quite hot, so I decided I would donate the 212 to her's.

First, I mocked up mine to check for clearance. While it seems pretty close, I don't think the fan actually is so far out that it gets over the memory modules. Also, at least on mine, the height of the fan does clear my memory.

So, I think the CM Hyper 212 Plus will clear. BTW, it dropped my wife's i5 750 by about 20*C at idle and under load, and she says the area is much cooler.

This sounds promising. Do you know if the G.Skill Ripsaws X are roughly the same size as the Vengeance RAM?, I hope so because the distance from the CPU socket to the 1st RAM slot is practically similar on both boards. Now i have to find out how the 212 Plus compares to the Prolimatech Armageddon, which i am a few clicks away from buying :??: 

Thank you for your advice, this has really helped me! :D 
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
April 29, 2011 11:51:44 PM

Hank119 said:
Quote:
Corleone

Hank119 your on the right track but missing a crucial aspect.
The height of Vengeance ram is 52mm same as Dominators.
The determining factor is cooler base height and dimm intrusion more then anything else which the MUX-120 does quite well over 46mm base height clearance and 2mm dimm intrusion.
Doesn't matter how much your're trying to rationalize width without taking base height into the equation.
The better the base height clearance the better ram clearance will be especially for tall kits.
The 212+ is actually wider then the MUX-120 by 1.72mm with fans fitted and base height clearance is worse 37mm with 6mm dimm intrusion.
Btw i own both coolers mounted on 1156 P55 boards so i know the 212+ covers the first dimm on a P55 board the MUX-120 doesn't.
Pretty much guarantee that the MUX-120 would be fine all dimms filled.
Sliding one fan up a couple of mm's is not going to effect your cooling performance.
Not sure about the Armageddon's base height clearance but was an option i suggested way back in the thread.
And also the cooler i recommended to Bigmac80 btw a month or so ago and he was kind enough to award me BA.
Imo either the MUX-120 or the Armageddon would work fine.
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
April 30, 2011 12:08:26 AM

corleone11 said:
This sounds promising. Do you know if the G.Skill Ripsaws X are roughly the same size as the Vengeance RAM?, I hope so because the distance from the CPU socket to the 1st RAM slot is practically similar on both boards. Now i have to find out how the 212 Plus compares to the Prolimatech Armageddon, which i am a few clicks away from buying :??: 

Thank you for your advice, this has really helped me! :D 

Ripjaws are 41mm tall.
I have Ripjaws coupled with a 212+ and with all dimms filled i still have to slide the fan up.base height clearance is 37mm the Ripjaws are 41mm tall.
The MUX-120 offers better compatibility and base height clearance is over 46 mm as well as a much quieter fan well under 24db.
My older MUX-120(non-Black edition) came with a stock X-Silent 120mm 20db which is considered silent.
Don't get me wrong the 212+ is a good cooler but the stock fan is alot louder 30db+.
Alot of people replace them,just check out this forum it's a common thread.
Fans 20db and under are considered silent.
30db and under quiet.
I still think your best bet is the MUX-120.
April 30, 2011 6:16:32 AM

davcon said:
The determining factor is cooler base height and dimm intrusion more then anything else which the MUX-120 does quite well over 46mm base height clearance and 2mm dimm intrusion.
Doesn't matter how much your're trying to rationalize width without taking base height into the equation.
The better the base height clearance the better ram clearance will be especially for tall kits.
The 212+ is actually wider then the MUX-120 by 1.72mm with fans fitted and base height clearance is worse 37mm with 6mm dimm intrusion.
Btw i own both coolers mounted on 1156 P55 boards so i know the 212+ covers the first dimm on a P55 board the MUX-120 doesn't.
Sliding one fan up a couple of mm's is not going to effect your cooling performance.
Not sure about the Armageddon's base height clearance but was an option i suggested way back in the thread.
And also the cooler i recommended to Bigmac80 btw a month or so ago and he was kind enough to award me BA.

Quote:
Davcon,
I'm aware that the Dominators and the Vengeance modules are the same height. What I do not know is if the distance from the center of the CPU to the first memory slot on the P55 boards is the same as that on the P67 boards. As for base height clearance it appears from Bigmac80's photo that this is a non-issue with the Armageddon since it fits with zero memory slot intrusion with a module installed. The MUX-120 dimensions you quote are very valuable since there is no way of determining the effective width with a fan installed from the manufacturer's drawings or dimensions. I'm surprised that it's effective width is 1.72 mm less than the 212+. Must be the way the fan fits against the heat sink.The manufacturer's drawing of the 212+ is very good and shows a width of 51mm.for the heat sink The width of the Armageddon is 50 mm. I think there may be differences in the fan width and attachments at play here.
April 30, 2011 11:27:54 AM

davcon said:
Ripjaws are 41mm tall.
I have Ripjaws coupled with a 212+ and with all dimms filled i still have to slide the fan up.base height clearance is 37mm the Ripjaws are 41mm tall.
The MUX-120 offers better compatibility and base height clearance is over 46 mm as well as a much quieter fan well under 24db.
My older MUX-120(non-Black edition) came with a stock X-Silent 120mm 20db which is considered silent.
Don't get me wrong the 212+ is a good cooler but the stock fan is alot louder 30db+.
Alot of people replace them,just check out this forum it's a common thread.
Fans 20db and under are considered silent.
30db and under quiet.
I still think your best bet is the MUX-120.

Well, Davcon, i've taken the plunge and purchased the MUX-120. I just couldn't resist the value for money, and for what seems
to be an all-round quality CPU cooler. I've taken your word for it so if it doesn't perform, you can expect a bombardment
of messages of perturbation & profanity[:beanoslim:1]....only joking :lol: 

Seriously, thank you for all your help, your a true credit to this forum.
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2011 4:42:26 AM

corleone11 said:
Thats a sweet setup[:bohleyk:1]. Thanks for providing the info!

One more question, as i may go with the Armageddon; With your push/pull setup, do you have air pulling from the front of the case and pushing towards the rear, or vice versa?

i have 2 intake fans and 1 rear exhaust...the top front fan is blowing air towards the heatsink...
May 1, 2011 10:38:22 PM

I've often wondered and ask myself,.....how much of the exteme length of RAM heatsink fins are actually necessary, functional and how much is just looks or marketing? Any empirical evidence of their efficacy? If you got out your metal shears or snips and trimmed a little bit off of the RAM heat sink fins or a little bit off of one of the lower CPU cooler fins if it would matter all that much. If you just got some pliers and bent either the RAM fins or the cpu cooler fins a little would it matter or make that much difference except to ones sense of fastiditiousness?

Has anyone ever measured the absolute temperature of RAM heat sink fins?

There are even RAM sticks out there without fins that seem to work just fine too.

So,.... real temp drops or just some pretty paint and marketing? Any RAM engineers here that know for sure?

a b K Overclocking
May 2, 2011 2:23:07 AM

garyhope said:
I've often wondered and ask myself,.....how much of the exteme length of RAM heatsink fins are actually necessary, functional and how much is just looks or marketing? Any empirical evidence of their efficacy? If you got out your metal shears or snips and trimmed a little bit off of the RAM heat sink fins or a little bit off of one of the lower CPU cooler fins if it would matter all that much. If you just got some pliers and bent either the RAM fins or the cpu cooler fins a little would it matter or make that much difference except to ones sense of fastiditiousness?

Has anyone ever measured the absolute temperature of RAM heat sink fins?

There are even RAM sticks out there without fins that seem to work just fine too.

So,.... real temp drops or just some pretty paint and marketing? Any RAM engineers here that know for sure?

i think it's marketing honestly...i got them because of the lower volts...
May 3, 2011 10:23:36 AM

Godhatesusall said:
a good cooling solution for p67 owners would be the coolermaster v6gt.

In the following topic you can see pics with a v6gt+a p67 sabertooth+corsair vengeance,all working wonderfully

http://razetheworld.com/forum/topic/official-post-your-...

Thanks for your advice, greatly appreciated [:bohleyk:1]. Nothings better than photographic evidence :D 
That p67 sabertooth board is hideous IMO :heink:  I've actually gone ahead and bought the Prolimatech Armageddon, fits perfectly with my set-up and cools exceptionally well. Ordered the Thermalright MUX-120 but had to cancel the order due to Scan.co.uk's crappy online stock notification system :fou: 
May 3, 2011 10:40:58 AM

Bigmac80 said:
i have 2 intake fans and 1 rear exhaust...the top front fan is blowing air towards the heatsink...

Ok cool :)  . Guess what, i bought the Armageddon in the end. It fits PERFECTLY and doesn't obstruct the RAM, and avg. temps are very good [:bohleyk:1]
I purchased the MUX-120 but had to cancel the order due to Scan.co.uk cocking up[:aford10], everything happens for a reason i suppose :D 

Thanks again ;) 
May 3, 2011 10:50:49 AM

davcon said:

I would like to thank you for your earlier recommendation of the Armageddon as i now have it installed without any issues, and it meets
my cooling needs. I know i've over used this gesture, but thank you very much[:boudy:2]. And in regards to the "BA" that bigmac80
awarded you, what exactly is it as i would like to do the same?
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2011 9:29:50 PM

corleone11 said:
Ok cool :)  . Guess what, i bought the Armageddon in the end. It fits PERFECTLY and doesn't obstruct the RAM, and avg. temps are very good [:bohleyk:1]
I purchased the MUX-120 but had to cancel the order due to Scan.co.uk cocking up[:aford10], everything happens for a reason i suppose :D 

Thanks again ;) 

np!
!