Solution
Well lets take a look.

Version 0501: Initial release ~ self explanatory

Version 0507: Improve ACC unleashing mode function ~ to help with unlocking x2 and x3 CPUs

Version 0602: Support new CPUs ~ this is for any Phenom II with C3 stepping

Version 0604: Improve the system stability and performance when using certain memory ~ apparently they needed to expand on the various memory models that would work with this board.

Version 0605: Fix the issue that Dell Multimedia keyboard or Logitech G15 may not be detected during POST ~ Hmmm... interesting that older versions wouldn't recognize these 2 keyboards.

As you can see the up-grade of these BIOS versions are very minor, and unless your having issues with any of the things listed I...

chicago30

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
There have been two updated since my version. Don't I want the latest and greatest?

Please give me the pros and cons of updating. There must be a reason they come out with updates.

Thanks!

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Well lets take a look.

Version 0501: Initial release ~ self explanatory

Version 0507: Improve ACC unleashing mode function ~ to help with unlocking x2 and x3 CPUs

Version 0602: Support new CPUs ~ this is for any Phenom II with C3 stepping

Version 0604: Improve the system stability and performance when using certain memory ~ apparently they needed to expand on the various memory models that would work with this board.

Version 0605: Fix the issue that Dell Multimedia keyboard or Logitech G15 may not be detected during POST ~ Hmmm... interesting that older versions wouldn't recognize these 2 keyboards.

As you can see the up-grade of these BIOS versions are very minor, and unless your having issues with any of the things listed I don't recommend an up-date as you are not missing out on any real performance gains.

Pros: Unlocking cores, recognizing a CPU, help to stabilize memory issues (for memory that was not on the original QVL...Qualified Vendor List), or help in compatibility with unrecognized keyboards.

Cons: create instability that you didn't have before, start having temp/hardware issues or conflicts that you didn't have before, and the worst ~ have a bad flash wiping out the CMOS chip (which I have done) meaning that the MoBo is useless (aka...Bricked) without buying a new BIOS chip or having to send the board off to have the chip reprogrammed and even then it may not be a sure thing.

My last BIOS flash resulted in killing 1 stick of memory, when the new BIOS didn't default back to 1.8v

Now if you still insist on flashing the BIOS there are 4 ways to do it.

1.) Make a bootable 3 1/2" floppy using the AFUDOS executable (the old fashioned way)
2.) Make a bootable CD by following the instuctions in the MoBo manual
3.) EZ Flash using an USB stick ( same as 2 follow instruction spelled out in the manual)
4.) Via the internet ( Absolute No No!!! ie... any interference or loss of connection and see cons above for; aka...Useless Brick)

Also keep in mind if you flash the BIOS and decide you liked the first one better. Well it just may be to bad, some of the newer BIOS's won't let you flash backwards to a previous version (voice of experience).

Solution

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Your welcome.
I would hate to see someone go through the issues that I've had to learn the hard way, not to mention the expenses. But that's what happens when you don't ask LOL.

Happy computing,

UF