Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Depends on the brand and model of the PSU, the specs should state a maximum combined wattage of the 12V rails, example: http://xtreview.com/images/psu-corsair_02.gif , here you can see that for example the Corsair HX520W has three 12V rails of 18A, but the maximum combined wattage is not 18A*3*12V=648W but only 480W, in contrast the rails do add up with this OCZ 400W http://www.ocztechnology.com/drivers/SXS400w_WattChart.jpg if the specs don't state a maximum combined wattage it probably means you can just add the rails, but not always, so I'd ask the vendor/manufacturer about it first.

By the way, Watt(W) = Amperage(A) x Voltage(V)

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
I don't know: the max combined wattage isn't specified on those psu's, so you either have to e-mail the manufacturer for that or just get something else, like a Corsair/Antec/OCZ.

It also depends on your other components, how many hard drive's do you have, what kind of CPU, etc... If you have 1 hard drive and a typical 65W (core 2 duo or athlon X2) or 95W (core 2 quad) CPU you need 22A or 23A on the 12V rails, if you have something bigger like a 125W (Phenom X4) or 130W (core i7) CPU you need even more power.

Your best bet would be an OCZ Stealthstream 400W, or a Corsair CX400W, those can power your 9800GT + an overclocked quadcore and 1 or 2 hard drives.

nagaprasanna

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
i have only one hard drive 80 GB
intel dual core processor
2 GB RAM
i used to disconnect the dvd drive and the cpu fan
SO WHAT AMOUNT OF AMPS DO I NNEED IN A 12V RAIL

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
You'll need 20amps to run the system (you can leave the dvd drive connected), but make sure you have an "80plus" certified PSU, otherwise the PSU may not deliver on its rated specs.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
Your system with a standard 9800GT needs 20A, if it has the "Green" 9800GT you need 18A.

But please make sure your card is a green edition (TDP = 75W) because I couldn't find the TDP of that particular card on google.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
It's enough (but barely), unless you're 100% sure you have a Green Edition, you'll go over the 80% load barrier and I always advise against that.
If your PSU doesn't have an "80Plus" certificate (which I doubt because I can't even find specs on this obscure ripoff of a PSU) it may fail when it goes over 80% load and it may take other components with it, but even if it does survive it will make a lot more noise and wear down a lot faster.

Why didn't you just follow my advice to buy a quality PSU?

Huh ?
The efficiency rating has nothing to do with wether or not a unit can handle high loads.

I personally wouldn't trust that Mercury to power anything.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

When they test for efficiency they also test at 100% load, so if a PSU has the certificate it survived the 100% load test.

Gulli - There's a minor problem with the ratings. The tests are for power supply efficiency and yes they do test the psu at it's full load as shown on the psu's label. From what I read in separate technical reviews there were a few bronze rated psu's that either failed or were below their efficiency rating when the cpu and gpu in a system were at their full loads.

I checked the institute's test protocol. The problem is that the protocol does not involve using an Intel Core i7 with a high end video card. In fact, there is no pc used at all. It is the same problem we have with technical reviews. Results vary because different criteria and different test platforms are used.

TRENDING THREADS