Whats so great about DX11?

computernewbie

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
I posted my build on another post, using 4890 in CF, and someone told me i might as well wait for the new DX11 cards, whats so great about em? any articles about them, i havent been posting lately

Once again Google.... :p

Anywhoo, it's already 'out' but it's in beta and the hardware to support is barely more than wafers right now.

Likely by fall you will see new hardware, and it's not that it's DX11, it's that like more previous generations the top of the line should be noticeably better than the previous generation, plus add the extra features.

DX11 itself isn't anything thats too big a leap. The big difference is in the GPU's that will be released.

If the specs that are being leaked are true, the DX11 cards that will come out later this year will have almost double the hardware specs as current cards. I'm not saying performance will double, but there should be a sizable jump in performance. Hence, if you don't need an upgrade now, its best to wait, because if nothing else, prices for everything else will flatline.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

:non:

so when exactly is the release date? which OS's already support DX11?
I don't think there is a "release date", but even if there is DirectX 11 won't be implemented all at once.
First you need a OS that supports it (Windows 7 and I'm not sure what Apple has, if anything), then you need DirectX 11 hardware, and finally the DirectX 11 software (aka game).
The next step in this process is the hardware, which is speculated to come out with Nvidia and ATI's new line of graphics cards.

Remember Apple OS doesn't use Direct3D, not that they've ever mattered to cutting edge graphics hardware. Likely they won't have support for new cards until about 3-9 months after launch if history holds.

The next step in this process is the hardware, which is speculated to come out with Nvidia and ATI's new line of graphics cards.

The main thing is that hardware is starting to appear, which means front row devs will likely get their hands on them shortly, which helps the 'getting games to market' part.

However I have to agree with the concept that
googlea.gif
, there is alot of info out there, even about potential release dates. If there were anything more is would be on ATi, M$ & nV's front pages.

boudy

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009

Jeez, I can't believe I completely forgot that Direct3D is a Microsoft only API... :pt1cable: