CPU left square imprint on heatsink

tomsresults

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
I have an Intel i7 2600K and a Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme

I think I may have tightened the HSF too much because it now has a square CPU-based imprint on the base. It looks like four scratches forming a square on the base, which is made of alternating strips of copper (heatpipes) and aluminum.

Is this a bad thing? Should I try lapping them out?

tomsresults

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2011
The square-shaped scratch marks could not be felt with my finger, but they marred the "mirror-like" finish of the Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme heatsink. Note when I say mirror-like I really mean "shiny". You could see a reflection on the base in but the reflected image had tiny distortions and ripples everywhere so I think the surface was more cosmetically polished than truly flat.

A few minutes with 600 grit sandpaper took out the scratches I was concerned about. Or rather, it completely obscured them with bigger, much more noticable scratches. I guess the original scratches were minor after all.

In any case, nothing I do seems to affect my temps one way or the other and I have reseated this like 5 times with Arctic Silver 5. Maybe if I get a hold of some high-grit (800/1000+) sandpaper it might make a difference. With i2600K at 4 GHz I got 63C typically and 69C absolute maximum (a fleeting value on one core) using Prime 95 and Real Temp for 7 hours last night. The CoolerMaster Excalibur 120mm fan I put in this heatsink was turned down to run quietly at 1300 rpm or so.