Asus P6TD support for i7 processor. C0 vs D0?

hunter1801

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006
I'm reading reviews for the P6TD Deluxe and one of the negatives that people are saying about it is something about how Asus pulled support for I7 920 rev. C0. What does this mean? Here are a couple quotes from newegg:

"Spec page states support for socket 1366 I7 processors, but CPU compatibility on manufacture site state only support for revision D0 and not C0 of I7 920 processor, even though it is the same CPU and the only way to know the revision of CPU is to look at the box and compare S-spec to tech. documentation from manufacture site. This make this board useless to a lot of people with 920 rev. C0 cpu's witch is current and is still sold by many."

" Seem like Asus pulled support for I7 920 rev. C0 from this board, just when I happen to buy 920 and it turned out to be rev. C0. This does not make sense, their site states it still supports revision D0 but not C0. It is the same CPU. I don't know who to blame here Asus for pulling support, Intel for misleading a customer on the CPU selection( same CPU name but seems to be diffrent with every revision according to Asus support pull on this board. NewEgg and Asus for not making it clear to the customer on the CPU support. New egg states I7 support and unless you go on Asus and look up CPU support, you wouldn't know that they ripping you off."

Don't really understand what this means. Can I still use this motherboard if I buy an i7 920? What exactly are they complaining about?

Shubby

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
C0 and D0 are two different steppings of the Core i7 920. Think of steppings as software versions. There is no software involved in this case but the analogy is valid. C0 is 1.0 and D0 is 1.1.
More than likely if you bought an i7 920 now, it would be a D0 stepping.
When ordering, you could make sure that it says the stepping is D0; if you look at specifications/details of the item you're buying, it might specify that bit of info.
Unfortunately Newegg doesn't seem to mention it unless I can't find it on their Core i7 920 product page.

waynegman

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Not sure where you live but I was as microcenter in NJ this weekend and they were well up on the DO stepping, letting me know about C0 vs DO issues telling me they had the DO.

hunter1801

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2006

Of course you can! How can something like this be a lie? Reviewer Amish Patel:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=11-103-010&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&SelectedRating=1&PurchaseMark=&VideoOnlyMark=False&Keywords=&Page=

Pros: Very good case until it sucked my babies in.

Cons: Now I have giant chunks of meat inside my case. At least the fan keeps it cool and refrigerated so it doesn't smell bad.

Other Thoughts: The case keeps moving because the fan pulls the case forward. I had to tie it down.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

I thinks its backwards compatible, if its support D0 then it supports the previous versions. Plus I wouldn't worry to much because D0 has taken over the market now, C0 were popular months ago when the D0's would be around 320bucks. Now the D0 is pretty much taken the crown. Look for the Code: SLBEJ <If you see that code anywhere its automatically D0 stepping. And as a side notes, Intel's steppings are basically like patches for software except these are for hardware. Its newer chip with some fixes, high overclockability and some other improvements. Thats why D0 i7's tend to overclock like champions compared to C0 ones :) You can get more information on this on intels website probably.