reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Okay, my computer runs great, i have no need to upgrade, but i read about the phenom x-6 and now I'm catching the upgrade bug. Since i dont need it, I pretty much just want to buy the cpu and mobo, and use the rest of my stuff. My problem is I'm running 8gb ddr2, and I unable to confirm whether am2+ will support the 6 core phenom,so that i can use ddr2, anyone in the know?

Solution
If you have a Q6600, there's no reason whatsoever to upgrade to a Phenom II x6 unless you are doing something that really requires lots of threads. The x6 is unlikely to be faster than your current CPU on single threaded tasks, so there's no reason to upgrade for normal use.

loneninja

Distinguished
The only rumored desktop CPU to have 6 cores from AMD that will fit the AM3 platform would be "Thuban". Currently little information is available other than it has 6 cores, fits AM3, and won't be out until Q3 2010. If your interested in this for an upgrade related to gaming, I wouldn't even consider it, they'll have lower clock speeds than Phenom X4.

bige420

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah the X6's aren't going to be out for quite a while. If you really need something for media converting and such that your Q6600 cant handle, you might want to consider getting i7 with hyperthreading.

If you have a Q6600, there's no reason whatsoever to upgrade to a Phenom II x6 unless you are doing something that really requires lots of threads. The x6 is unlikely to be faster than your current CPU on single threaded tasks, so there's no reason to upgrade for normal use.

Solution