I’m putting a new build and wanted to get the Tom’s forum blessing. Three years ago I posted my build and got a ton of advise that saved me money and I got an awesome system that is still doing a pretty good job after so long. So I’m asking for your help again, to make sure that I’m getting a good build that will last me a while.
This will mostly be for gaming. I may at some point overclock the CPU, but not right off the bat, and not a whole lot when I actually do. Other then the keyboard, mouse, and monitors I’m going to get all new parts. I'll be running Vista Home Premium 64bit for now, might try Win 7 RC though at some point.
The Brands I chose because I've used them at some point in past builds and have gotten good life and performance from them, but if there are any brands or models that you can recommend that would out perform any of these parts and still keep me under $1600 on the build, I'm all ears.
A few questions:
1. Is this power supply enough to run everything I've selected, and will it be enough to do a little OC later down the line or will I need to upgrade it at that point?
2. The case I chose because I have two other machines with the same case and love it, it will help my office match which will make my wife happy. But I want to make sure that the Zalman CPU fan will fit without a problem in this case. Anyone else used this combo before?
3. Does this system look like it will do a good job for the next couple of years at least gaming at 1920x1200?
1. Power supply should be plenty at 850. The Corsair 850tx is cheaper but minus modular cabling. I had bad experiences with antecs in the past but I think they have gotten much better. They usually don't skimp on the higher end stuff.
2. Theres a few reviews under the fan stating it does fit the P182, but no personal experience with it.
3. Should be great performance at 1920X1200.
OS? Just cause you left it off and others may ask.
Caviar blacks in raid are probably great but I love my Vertex SSD.
It's priced pretty much the same as the Antec I orginaly picked. It should do a better job of cooling givin that the vid card is going to pump out so much heat, am I right? It's not as pretty I think, but I can live with it.
Also, with all the suggestions on CPU cooling I think I'd like to do a little more research on that before I get one. I wasn't going to OC the CPU anyways right off the bat so... the stock cpu fan that comes with the retail i7 920 should hold me over ok without any OCing for now, correct?
Hate to bump up an old thread, but I just wanted to thank you guys. With your recommendations this build came out awesome. I ended up getting the Xigmatek S1283 cooler. I have the CPU slightly OCed to 3GHz right now, runs perfect for me so far. I've been testing it this whole week. Temps are in the 30 - 54 range from ideal to full load with prime95. I'm extremely happy with my FPS on my games now. Well all that's left to do is to go replay all my games.