Sign in with
Your question

Can Anyone Recommend Built-in Graphics Processors?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2009 9:29:03 PM

Well I've tried posting under motherboards and no one posted a reply, so I'll try here.

I'm trying to find a way to play games such as the Sims 3 on the cheap. My daughter has an older system I built, about 4 years ago, and it's time to upgrade to a new MB / CPU / Memory. I want to find a decent MB that has a built-in graphics processor but, so far, no one (home user) has had anything at all to say about the topic. Although I see several articles (here at Tom's) regarding the ATI Radeon HD3200 chipset and the NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMS chipset, and even one article regarding the new ATI Radeon HD3300 chipset, I never see any actual user praising these graphic engines. It would seem to me -- a bargin hunter at heart -- that everyone on a budget would at least start by buying a decent MB with one of these built-in graphics processors onboard and then maybe buying a separate video card when their budget permits.

Does anyone have any experience or anything good to say about these built-in graphic processors? Although my daughter's system currently has Windows XP, I will eventually want to upgrade to Windows 7. Also, I realize that I will have to buy either a new case or new power supply to handle the 24-pin motherboards.

Eagerly waiting your replys, GF! :hello: 
a b U Graphics card
June 21, 2009 9:38:44 PM

well, AMD/ATI's IGP aka HD3x00 is pretty good, try that out along with the Athlon II X2 250
Related resources
June 21, 2009 9:52:11 PM

I don't know the requirements of Sims3 but there is geforde9300 chipsets built in out there, and there is some I think ati3400 out there as well which is a bit better then the older 3200

none of them are for hardcore 3d games (but again I am not sure what sims3 require) they can play wow quite nicely though if that gives you an idea
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 21, 2009 9:59:48 PM

if you go to the sim3 forums you will see plenty of people having issues running the game with integrated graphics. You can get a ATI 3450 or 4350 for $20-30 and it will make a world of difference.

FYI, I worked on an emachines PC that had the Nvidia 8200 chip. It had issues running web browsing on a 20 inch screen. A lot of delayed dragging effects.
December 8, 2009 12:59:35 PM

ive heard the intel GMA x4500 is not bad of a graphics could be wrong
!