Need Help Over clocking My AMD Phrnom ii x6 1100T BE

balance1550

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Hello,
Could anyone please give some pointers on overclocking this beast. I have done all my homework days of reading and I understand a lot but I can not for the life of me get a stable overclock anything above 3.6ghz which by reading Im nowhere close to what I could get. Any suggestions ??

Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
ASRock 870 EXTREME3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (Turbo UCC, True 333: USB 3.0, SATA3, eSATA3)
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz, 3.7GHz Turbo 6 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor
Spire TherMax Eclipse II CPU Cooler x2 120mm Push Pull
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VX-2L Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity
16 gigs Patriot "G" Series sector 5 DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Ram
ASUS Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 24X DVD Burner
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6400AACS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
hec X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous @ 40°C ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

balance1550

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

Just an update , I have managed to get 4.0ghz = x20 multiplier @ 1.4250 volts , Nb mulitiplier =x10 @1.200 volts. Ht bus x10 @ 1.200 volts. Now I am new to all this I have read so much Im going blind in the last few days.. I read in an overclocking guide on this forum that running prime 95 for 24 hours is not necessary so I followed the advice of the guide and ran for 1 hour with no hiccups .

idle temp 21-22 Celsius
100% load 48 - 49 Celsius

I have a concern about the cpu voltage and would appreciate some feedback on this matter . Like I said above the cpu volts are set @ 1.4250 but cpuz shows voltage @ 1.456 Idle but under 100% load it shows 1.576 - 1.584 and max volts for my cpu is 1.55 Is this something I should take cation of?? Thanks in advance

balance1550

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Yes I did read the overclocking guide posted on the forum. I have all those functions disabled but I am a little unclear on the PCIE spread spectrum I do not have anything in my bios named PCIE spread spectrum , However I do a setting named just Spread spectrum . Are those the same thing?? Sorry Im a noob but Im hooked on all this now...lol .. Also I wanted to add that somewhere I read to disable cpu load- line calibration .Was this a mistake?? I really appreciate your response and help.

This computer that I am playing with now was an accident . I had bought that asrock mobo so that I could have some overclocking capabilities with my 1035t and before you know it I had this Rig so now Im ready to learn and play :D

balance1550

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Another interesting fact I should have noted I think. Just did a little testing at stock everything . 100% load cpu volts showed on cpuz 1.392 @ Celsius

Idle cpu volts bounced around from 1.384 , 1.392 and 1.416 @20 Clesius

balance1550

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I have done that , been playing around a bit and I am really concerned about these cpu voltage readings that I am getting from cpuz . They are way higher than whats set in my bios. Example just now playing around I have cpu volt @ 1.425 and under load its over 1.567 range in cpuz reading but in h/w it reads what I have set in bios and I checked in AMD OD and it reads as they bios is set for ??? Im worried and this is holding me back from bumping my volts to obtain a stable overclock .. Any thoughts?

balance1550

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011

Honestly I couldn't tell you for sure I wouldn't know it if did.. :| Do you think its a fluke as two programs read what bios is set for and cpuz goes way over ?

balance1550

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I guess flames will tell the story ..lol but really I am thinking its program issue because at 1 point voltage was over 1.6 and max temps were 51 or 52 Celsius if it was truly @ 1.6 that chip would have fried dont you think?

balance1550

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
The only time this chip will ever come close to 100% load is running prime I imagine .. I have had 20 Virtual machines running and barley put it over 50% load .Which brings me to my next question I have been using prime in small fft if I use large or blend My computer just locks up after 10 mins or so Any advice on that? Thanks saint you are truly a saint your help is so greatly appreciated !!!!!!!

balance1550

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Saint I ran prime95 but after about 6 - 10 mins its says prime95 has stopped working the computer doesnt freeze or anything just that message about prime95. Mind you this is on the blend setting . If I use small It ran until I shut it down which was about an hour . I have read that prime95 crashes and pc doesnt that I still have stability issues. Any suggestions

If you read my guide, you need to read it again!

16 gigs of memory is great if you're not planning on overclocking it!

There is no matched settings 16gb memory kits available from Patriot, so you bought 2 kits of 2 x 4g which means the timings you're attempting to run were tested for 8g total not 16g, you'll spin your wheels and never get that stable!

What do you think you possibly need 16gb of memory for?

Win7 Ultimate 64bit, uuuuuuh NO!

You said you read my guide, well you must have fell asleep and completely overlooked the memory Note:

Drop your memory back to 8g 2 x 4g, because 4g 2 x 2g will yield the best stable overclock but since you're already the owner of 16g, drop to 8g cross your fingers and try again, use the 9,9,9,24 timings @ 1.65v.

The next time you claim you read everything, well read it!

The Black Edition Overclock Guide will work as long as you follow the instructions, but if you try to bypass any of the instructions and cannot stabilize, it's your own fault not the guide, and it matters not if you have a dual, quad, or hex core AMD BE CPU the guide still applies and will still work, IF you follow the instructions!

That guide was not put there on a whim, it's been tested over and over and over and over and over again, modified and rewritten about 5 times now, you have my word you can trust it as hundreds already have, but you have to follow the instructions or it won't work for you, that I guarantee you!

Memory Note:
System memory modules are critical in pulling off a stable raised multiplier overclock, they should be matched module sets, because you don't want inconsistencies between the memory modules or you'll never get a stable overclock, until you resolve those issues. Can the issues be resolved? Of course they can, by Timing adjustments and voltage changes, but you are at a serious disadvantage from the beginning, and even if the modules cooperate together at default settings, if they're not matched sets, there is no guarantee they'll overclock together, it is almost the luck of the draw.

Matched memory modules have been pretested to run together at their rated speeds, timings, and voltages, giving you firm input numbers to set in your BIOS. They've also been pretested for certain platforms, if you purchased memory guaranteed to run at a certain cas latency on Intel, they may not run those same timings on AMD. So you're at a disadvantage from the beginning at achieving your stable overclock and you're back to juggling timings in search of memory stability. It should have been taken into consideration when you were purchasing your hardware, to buy memory tested for the AMD platform.

My memory recommendations for this type of overclock are either a matched set of 2G = 2 x 1G, or 4G = 2 x 2G, 8G module setups are much harder to successfully overclock, they're not impossible to overclock just harder, however some motherboards just flat don't overclock well with all the available memory slots occupied, you need to be aware of any motherboard peculiarities from the beginning, there in falls your research responsibility, because that information is usually clearly stated in your motherboard manual.

If your overclocking motherboard allows loading up all 4 modules, you'd definitely need an 8G matched set, so pretested speed, timings and voltage requirements are already solid numbers that you can input in the BIOS.

I seriously question if you missed something as important as the Memory Note: in the guide what else have you missed?

The guide was designed so if you knew absolutely nothing regarding overclocking but you could read, comprehend and apply what you read, you could successfully overclock your Black Edition AMD CPU with zero overclocking skills.

Now I suggest you start over. Ryan

balance1550

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Lack of knowledge and terminology does not mean I didn't read your guide. I thought if I put 2x8 gig sets that everything would work as they are supposed to. Shame on me for that. I have in no way shape or form implied your guide was wrong anywhere at anytime as it seems you have taken offense to whats going on here. I purchased this ram after reading reviews that it will work for AMD platforms with the correct timings , shame on me again.. lol . Again all this falls back to inexperience and lack of terminology after all everyone starts at the bottom I have yet to find anyone that was successful the very first go around which is how I ended up here.

Anyway all advice and info here is excellent and after reading up more on ram and matched sets and all that good stuff I have purchased an 8 gig set of gskill sniper ram and am waiting for it to arrive. hopefully that helps ..