turk_mcdirt

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
Whats up toms forum. I used to post here a long time ago before the site got bought out but that's not what I came to ask you.

I need to build a personal Vmware computer that I want to use for a server 2008 sandbox.

I went to newegg and spec'd out a new dual xeon 5520 w/ HT, 12GB of ddr3 1333 (6 slots is as much as you can get on a desktop board), 4 640GB drives to be put in a rado 0+1 array, Radeon hd 4890.

The total cost came out to about $2800.

What would be a better system for VMware. This one i spec'd out or an older daul 771 board with 24 GB of ddr2?

Wolfshadw

Titan
I've got Server 2008 w/ Hyper-V running on the box below (dual-boot). What, exactly, are you planning to install? What you're listing seems like serious over-kill unless you're running half a dozen or more virtual servers.

In my case, I have SQL 2005 running on a virtual 2k3, IIS 6.0 running on a second 2k3, a Vista client and XP client. I'm not even coming close, to full utilization (but my stuff is small at the moment).

-Wolf sends

turk_mcdirt

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I'm going to be running 4DC's, 4 or 5 member servers, and 3 cleint pc's. While not everything needs to be online at once i would like to run a couple at time with out a lot of slow down.

Wolfshadw

Titan
As long as you're not running an Exchange server, you shouldn't be too hard pressed for memory, though it will be a bit slim. Your setup without an Exchange server, I'd probably be looking for a board that can handle dual cpus and at least 16 Gig of RAM.

As much as I hate going with older tech (just me an my wallet complaining, really), I'd probably go ahead with the socket 771 motherboards simply for the increased maximum amount of RAM and that's ONLY if you can't find anything newer that allows for more than 12GB of RAM (and agrees with your budget).

-Wolf sends

Latest posts