Sign in with
Your question

DVI versus HDMI Cable Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 21, 2009 10:27:43 PM

I currently have a Sapphire ATI Radeon 4850 video card.

It has (2) DVI out ports.

I am going to use the second port for a second monitor (LCD TV) in another room for streaming video and television.

For connecting my 2nd TV here are the current options I have found....

LCD TV --> 50' HDMI Cable --> HDMI - DVI Adapter (F-F) --> DVI Cable (M-M) --> PC

-or-

LCD TV --> HDMI - DVI Adapter (M-F) --> 50' DVI(M-M) Cable --> PC

Any other recommendations? I have found long HDMI-DVI Cables at a high price, and it appears using connectors and what not will be cheaper. Basically, I have DVI out card and a TV with HDMI in and it is 57' away. That is my problem and I am looking for input.

PS ~ If this should be in another thread location let me know.

Thanks,
a b U Graphics card
June 22, 2009 12:05:10 AM

What happened to the DVI->HDMI connector that came with the HD4850?

Connect that to a 50ft QUALITY HDMI cable then to the LCD TV and that's your best connection option IMO.
a c 235 U Graphics card
June 22, 2009 12:13:03 AM

i agree with the large purple primate

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
June 22, 2009 12:16:43 AM

+1

cartoon express strikes again
June 22, 2009 1:02:57 AM

This is a media PC. I dropped Cable and stream everything off the internet now. The adapter is used for my downstairs TV along with a shorterd HDMI since they are closer. I would need another adapter like that and a approx. 57' HDMI cable. I have to jump up to 75ft, which I found cheapest at about $95-100.

By doing the other stuff with connectors and what not I can get it between $65-80.

Any other advice beside getting another adapter and a really long HDMI?
June 22, 2009 1:22:33 AM

anything over 50 ft we run component over coax. Otherwise we run into interference or to weak of a signal.
a b U Graphics card
a b x TV
June 22, 2009 3:05:01 AM

Below is the HDMI reference in wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-Definition_Multimedia...

HDMI cable without any activie component is limited to 49 feet. Amp, repeaters or equalizers are expensive for extended lenght HDMI.

I'm using 25feet V1.3 HDMI cable and i have no issues. I can have Audio/Video on HDMI cable....

Here's my setup for your reference to consider....(Its your choice)

Video Card : XOC 4890
Monitor Primary: 24' LCD Viewsonic Monitor 1080P
Link: DVI/HDMI: I use ATI/HDMI Connector
Monitor Secondary: 70 Inch HDTV Display 1080P
Link: DVI/HDMI: I use ATI/HDMI Connector

Notes:
1) I use 2 25ft HDMI cable ( One for each DVI output of the 4890)
2) I use 2 ATI DVI/HDMI connector: Call your Video Card maker and it will send you another DVI/HDMI connector for free. I called Diamond Multimedia and it sent me my second DVI/HDMI connector.
3) Audio on HDMI: It only comes out on Primary Monitor. To switch the audio you switch Primary Monitor Definition.
4) For V1.3 HDMI cable @ 25ft it cost me $49 each at Fry's. The brand is PTC. V1 HDMI cable is $29 for 25ft (same brand). V1.3 cable has a higher bandwidth and is better at extended lenght. Read the HDMI wiki for your reference. Check the internet for better options.

Below is an extended HDMI with BUILT IN REPEATER...~ 89ft. It cost $189.9. Cheaper alternative may be available in the internet.

http://www.frys.com/product/5928584?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN...

5) The cost of extended DVI cable is very close if not the same to HDMI. The HDMI carry the 7.1 Audio so i highly recommend going HDMI for both. One cable for Audio and Video. Refer to notes 2) with respect to DVI/HDMI connector.

6) Good cables are generally thicker and the connectors are gold plated.
7) Audio on HDMI only works when i use DVI/HDMI from ATI. I tried 3rd party converter(BFG, Belkin, PTC, )... No audio comes out. When i use the converter from ATI i can get the audio on the 2 DVI ouput (One at a time).

Again its your choice
December 20, 2010 10:25:50 PM

If you are running it from a DVI port, you lose the audio. You want audio right?

Sounds to me like you should just spend a few extra bucks and buy an Apple TV.
!