Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Samsung Spinpoint F3 1 TB (SATA2) vs WDC Caviar Blue 1 TB (SATA3)

Last response: in Storage
February 6, 2011 8:45:02 AM

Hi guys, so between these two, which is a better buy if you already have a motherboard with SATA3 (6.0gbps)?

From reviews I've read, the Spinpoint is as fast as/even faster than a Caviar Black.

The new Caviar Blue claims to be SATA3, but what benefits does that even have? I mean, platter-based drives can't even saturate SATA2.

The Spinpoint retails for $64 around here, while the Caviar Blue for around $75. The $10 matters as the build is limited under a $700 budget (incl. monitor) so every penny counts.

I'm leaning towards the Spinpoint but a friend has told me that doing so would be putting myself in a corner and giving up longevity so I should go for a SATA3. My thinking is that the SATA3 drives available now won't get faster in a few years and that the fact of the matter is, the Spinpoint is faster and cheaper.
February 6, 2011 1:55:18 PM

First I don't know why you would even consider a sata2.

Secondly I don't know of any Samsung F2/F3/F4 that is NOT sata3.

All the Samsungs listed on Newegg are Sata3.

That being said, I only see a $5 difference between the two.

Either way, you want a WD Black or a Samsung F3/F4. Period.

The Black (64mb) is quite a bit more expensive but has 2 more years warranty than the Samsung. For the price you can't beat the Samsung.
February 6, 2011 1:58:59 PM

Your friend is an idiot. The drive will never come close to sata 3.0gbps speeds anyways. The Samsung drives are good units, buy one.
Related resources
a c 143 G Storage
February 6, 2011 2:08:04 PM

I would go with the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB (SATA2 3.0Gb/s) over the Western Digital Caviar Blue (SATA3 6.0Gb/s). You will see little difference between the two as even a SATA3 can't saturate the bandwidth of a SATA2 port. On SSD's are truly worth it on a SATA3 port... IMO.

@GeekApproved: All Samsung's are SATA2 3.0Gb/s not SATA3 6.0Gb/s ( http://www.newegg.com/Store/BrandSubCategory.aspx?Brand... )
February 6, 2011 2:11:18 PM

He argues that the burst speeds of these SATA3 drives can actually reach over 300 MB/s (I've seen a review of a VelociRaptor SATA3 that reached 340 MB/s, but that's $600). Is his point valid?

Furthermore, he says that allowing for uncapped burst speeds will be tangible in boot time. Is this true?

Best solution

a c 143 G Storage
February 6, 2011 2:19:30 PM

No his point is not valid...

Your Caviar will reach no where near the speed of the VRaptor (SATA III). As I stated prior, it will not even max out the bandwidth of the SATA II port, let alone a SATA III. To fully utilize or get the benefit of SATA III, you would need to go with a SATA III SSD. Stick with the Samsung, as we stated, and you'll be happy in the end. :) 
February 6, 2011 2:30:41 PM

Sorry I meant Sata 3.0gbps, not Sata 3.

I personally only buy WD's for myself because of the warranty and the fact that I've never had one fail on me, but I always use the F3 in builds for other because they usually want it as cheap as possible.
February 13, 2011 1:09:47 AM

Best answer selected by jut703.
!