triscross

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
my rig has been stable for months asus p5w-dh, q6600, gtx260, antec 550w.
yesterday it booted to vista logon and powered off "like a power cut" then wouldnt boot to bios disconnected everything still the same i then took the 5 year old antec 550 apart and cleaned all the dust out of it and it worked :).
today i had the same problem and i just left it till tonight as my room is a lot cooler and removed the side panel guess what it booted no problem, i am using it right now
this dosnt seem like a typical psu problem but all my temps are fine
what do you guys think
i was going to buy a cheep ebuyer Arctic Power 700W PSU to test as i don't have another psu that's powerful enough to test with

many thanks tris

xaira

Distinguished
if u could get a psu to test with thatd really let you know where you stand other than that something might be shorting front usb/audio/ethernet etc aslo try removing parts 1 by 1 cd floppy hdd one of these might be the culprit but mostly sounds like psu instead of taking apart and rebuilding try unplugging for 1 minute. then plug back in and see

triscross

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

i ve found a Coolermaster IGreen 600W PSU in my price range iam just not sure that that it will cut it if i upgrade again

I had a similar shutdown (like someone pulled the plug during Windows boot-up) when the self-contained liquid cooler on my processor failed. CPU temps rose and the system just shut down. The cooler the ambient temps, the longer it would run - sometimes to the desktop - before simply shutting off.

Over the years I've had systems shut down at various points when the system fan failed. The actual timing of the shutdown depended on the mobo's technology.

I'd check cpu cooling as well as the psu.

triscross

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009

my cpu is at 44c web browsing and touched 50c when i just encoded a dvd with speed fan i dont like speedfan but i an monitoring my voltage with it
coretemp shows 10c lower with tj at 85 that i believe is correct for my b3 q6600
my ambient room temp is now 22c but hits 30c in the daytime
in speed fan my aux temp is 80c to 100c but i have no idea what that monitors i thought it was a false reading

OK, one more stab at it - I still like thermal as the shutdown cause lol . . .

I have another system with an Arctic 7 cooler in a largish HTPC case that I move from place to place. Suddenly it started to shut down immediately after power on. Turns out a loose wire weighed down by its connector could and did swing enough of itself into the fan to stop it. That same fan later developed an intermittent problem of not starting up (like there was a dead spot on its windings) - same result. Whenever the fan ran, temps were fine.

I'd be watching the cpu cooling fan on bootup until I found the real problem, but that's just stubborn old me lol.