Revodrive X2 in PCIE 2x slot ?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Motherboards
  • PCI Express
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
February 6, 2011 10:36:49 AM

Will the revodrive X2 240GB work on my Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard which has a PCI-E 2.0x16 slot ?

The specs for the SSD say it needs a PCIE 4x slot, but I'm wondering if this is a different slot or a different speed (ie will it be backwards compatible with PCIE 2x, or do I need to buy a new motherboard ?

More about : revodrive pcie slot

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
a c 314 G Storage
February 6, 2011 4:56:51 PM

The answer to your question is yes. The OCZ Revodrive X2 solid state drive will work in your motherboard's PCI-e 2.0 (or 2.1) x16 slot. The motherboard slots are backward compatible.

The x16, x8, x4, and x2 refer to how many lanes are available in a motherboard's PCI-e slot to transmit data or how many lanes a device such as your ssd requires to function properly. In your case the motherboard slot has 16 lanes available and the ssd only requires 4 of the 16 lanes. No problem.

The 2.0 and 2.1 as in "PCI-e 2.0 x16" refer to revisions in the PCI Express international standard. The revisions should not affect ssd performance.

If memory serves, there was more than one version of the Gigabyte EX58-UD5 motherboard. Please check your motherboard manual to determine which type of PCI-e slots your motherboard has. I seem to recall one version also had a PCI-e x8 slot and a PCI-e x4 slot in addition to two PCI-e x16 slots. If you have that model, then you could use the x4 slot instead.

There is one more thing I should mention. There are some motherboards that have two PCI-e x16 slots. As long as you only use the primary slot it has all 16 lanes available for the primary slot. That primary slot is usually for a video card. However, if you add a second device such as a video card for Crossfire or SLI or a video card and a ssd, then both x16 slots are reduced to only 8 lanes each. It's like both slots have to share 16 lanes. The video cards will suffer a slight performance hit of about 2% to 5%. Please check your motherboard manual or Gigabyte's web site for more information about your specific motherboard. Hopefully you'll get lucky and have all 16 lanes available in both slots.
February 7, 2011 2:15:23 AM

AWESOME reply !! Cheers mate
m
l
February 7, 2011 10:20:06 PM

best answer Johny"L".
m
l
February 18, 2011 2:21:52 AM

Best answer selected by blewyn.
m
l